Silkied Ameraucana Project

****VARIETY NAME****

OK, there is obviously a LOT of confusion with these birds on the basis that people think they are a cross with Silkies...and the name doesn't help... I've been talking to JerryS on here (Charter Member of the Ameraucana Breeders Club) and he sent me some facts on the discovery of these birds and their feather type:

"The stringy mutation was reported in 1950 and given the st-2 symbol in 1980 according to Poultry Breeding and Genetics by R.D. Crawford . The st mutation was reported in 1945 but all died by 2 weeks of age . So st-2 was given to these that can live to maturity."

So, I'm wondering if the name of this variety should be changed before they become really well known in the chicken world and before I commence my crusade to have them accepted as a new variety by the APA. If so, should we go with Stringy Ameraucana....it's not the best sounding name, I know...but it does hold true to the genetics and separates from the Silkies....or are there other suggestions? St. Ameraucas? They could be a new saint as well as chickens? (just kidding of course!)
Wow, what a hard job trying to find a name for them...
What about:

Silk String Ams
or String Ams.....idk
idunno.gif

****VARIETY NAME****

OK, there is obviously a LOT of confusion with these birds on the basis that people think they are a cross with Silkies...and the name doesn't help... I've been talking to JerryS on here (Charter Member of the Ameraucana Breeders Club) and he sent me some facts on the discovery of these birds and their feather type:

"The stringy mutation was reported in 1950 and given the st-2 symbol in 1980 according to Poultry Breeding and Genetics by R.D. Crawford . The st mutation was reported in 1945 but all died by 2 weeks of age . So st-2 was given to these that can live to maturity."

So, I'm wondering if the name of this variety should be changed before they become really well known in the chicken world and before I commence my crusade to have them accepted as a new variety by the APA. If so, should we go with Stringy Ameraucana....it's not the best sounding name, I know...but it does hold true to the genetics and separates from the Silkies....or are there other suggestions? St. Ameraucas? They could be a new saint as well as chickens? (just kidding of course!)
There are several hoops you must jump through in the way of number of breeders and years bred that are requirements of the APA. Also, at this time I do not see that they will ever fit the current standard. I cannot see the ABC changing it. The silkied feathers causes issues with tail angle, saddle transition, and wing placement. Not to mention the ameraucana is supposed to be a tighter feathered bird.

It is generally a breed club that submits a new variety to the APA for recognition not a private individual.

The APA is also considering changing the new variety approval rules to say that the breeders must also be members of the APA for the five year requirement.

I have been just calling my birds Silk Ameraucanas. People are intrigued and never confuse them with Silkies when you cut it down to just "Silk". Add the Silkied though and yes everyone assumes a cross.

When I am typing out something referring to them on BYC I try to type " Project Silkied Ameraucanas" as to not upset the chicken Gods though lol.

Pips- I wonder how a lot of the club members feel about these guys?? I know there is a huge interest in them and I have sold eggs to club members too... Just wondering if there would ever be support for this variety from the club?

If members are interested I don't see why we couldn't try
idunno.gif

I have been just calling my birds Silk Ameraucanas. People are intrigued and never confuse them with Silkies when you cut it down to just "Silk". Add the Silkied though and yes everyone assumes a cross.

When I am typing out something referring to them on BYC I try to type " Project Silkied Ameraucanas" as to not upset the chicken Gods though lol.

Pips- I wonder how a lot of the club members feel about these guys?? I know there is a huge interest in them and I have sold eggs to club members too... Just wondering if there would ever be support for this variety from the club?

If members are interested I don't see why we couldn't try
idunno.gif
I have been communicating with Jerry Segler (On of the original charter members of the Ameraucana Breeders Club) and he said he would not oppose our push for the "Silkied/Stringy" type. He too ran into a lot of opposition getting the Ameraucana recognized as it is.

He also said : "The best route is to sell them and get them more popular . Numbers speak . The more serious breeders you have the better your chances are."

Whomever would like to go down this long path with me, please let me know. We need to start a club, assign officers, gather a list of all current breeders and push them to stay with it for at least 5 years, be members of APA, establish the standards for these birds how and if they are different than the standard Ameraucanas, and focus on agreeing to those standards and working on breeding lots of birds with them.

***Anyone who wants to commit to this with me, please PM me with your contact info and I'll start a list***

I can also start a FB Page, website, etc. We will need to keep track of where all of our breeders are and what color they are breeding. We need to keep records of quantity of birds, photos are great, size, weight, features, etc...

Go Team!!! ;-)

It has begun! I have created a Face Book page for anyone wanting to just find info, see or add photos, or get involved in this long but rewarding journey of promoting this beautiful variety and getting them accepted by APA and ABC!

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1486852044883669/

Current name for page is st-2 Ameraucanas Stringy Silky Beautiful....until we have a breeders group organized and decide on the formal name for this variety. PLEASE join and spread the word! Also spread the breed! The more numbers of people and chickens we have out there, the better chance we have making this happen! Hatch eggs, sell eggs, sell chicks, reproduce, talk about it, take action!

And have FUN enjoying these beautiful birds!!!!
love.gif

****VARIETY NAME****

Back
Top Bottom