Silkied Ameraucana Project

I agree that stringy Amerauacana is not so great but neither is Silkied Ameraucana. Unfortunately It's confusing and misleading to people
he.gif
And since when do they have to be called by their official feather type???

If you recall on the original thread we had people calling them by several names- Fluffy Ameraucana, Silkied Ameraucana, Silk Ameraucana, Silky Ameraucana, Hookless Ameraucana etc...

I think we all as a group- including Jubaby- should collectively agree on a distinctive name for them. Lets not forget that these birds originated with her and without her we would not have them!

And personally I don't see why we couldn't get these accepted as a variety of Ameraucana considering they are Ameraucanas! Even with the differences in feather type when you look at a flock of these birds it's easy to see they are the same breed- just a little furrier.

Aside from feathering lets work on keeping all traits true to an Ameraucana and getting more of these beauties out to be loved. I myself now have a nice size flock of these in Lavender and Black and plan on sharing
big_smile.png

O and just to put it out there I had some unexpected results while hatching these guys.

I was hatching Lavenders and Blacks from Black Ameraucanas all split to Silkied feathering and split to Lavender. I am a few generations in as I was trying to fix some comb issues that popped up.

Anyway I was getting the expected Black and Lavender babies and somehow I managed to get a couple of Blue/ Smokey colored babies to hatch from this group
hu.gif
The babies are definitely not Black and not Lavender but closer to a Blue color. As far as I know I should not have been able to hatch "Blue" from Black birds. I could be wrong and maybe somehow Blue can tag along with lavender or something but IDK.

The few genetic people I asked didn't have an answer either. One thought maybe I was breeding a very dark Blue girl that just looked Black but there is absolutely no way, my birds are very black- green sheen and all.

Anyway it had been mentioned to me that since these birds themselves were a mutation that maybe it is possible I also had a new color mutation pop up- possibly the smokey color mutation???

I don't really know what has happened but I now have 3 this color (after hatching over 100 chicks). I plan on breeding them in the Fall and seeing if they are just regular Blues that will breed Blue/Black/Splash or if they are possibly the Smokey mutation and will breed true
ya.gif

IDK but the anticipation is killing me!

Here is one of the chicks

Does anyone else have any ideas what color this is or how I could have possibly gotten Blue from Black birds?

Last edited:
Not to keen on that Stringy either. And I agree Jubaby should be included. I had wanted these birds from the minute she posted the first pic. Everyone was excited. I also think alicefelldown should be included. That's who I have splits from.

Could the original Black, have been from a BBS breeding? I've seen weird colors from that for a couple of generations, do to not having the information far enough back. I've had near perfect blacks from BBS breedings, but use one over lavender and you get the color closer to self blue, which is also what lavender is considered to some. Just an idea.

So would be a Silkied EE?? Guess so.

What are you looking for specifically, mlrod1914? We're still an active project just not a lot of folks updating right now. I know for one I don't have a lot of exciting things to report -- waiting on this year's hatching group to grow out to a point where I can cull down and determine my over-wintering flock and breeding group.

I agree that stringy Amerauacana is not so great but neither is Silkied Ameraucana. Unfortunately It's confusing and misleading to people
he.gif
And since when do they have to be called by their official feather type???

If you recall on the original thread we had people calling them by several names- Fluffy Ameraucana, Silkied Ameraucana, Silk Ameraucana, Silky Ameraucana, Hookless Ameraucana etc...

I think we all as a group- including Jubaby- should collectively agree on a distinctive name for them. Lets not forget that these birds originated with her and without her we would not have them!

And personally I don't see why we couldn't get these accepted as a variety of Ameraucana considering they are Ameraucanas! Even with the differences in feather type when you look at a flock of these birds it's easy to see they are the same breed- just a little furrier.

Aside from feathering lets work on keeping all traits true to an Ameraucana and getting more of these beauties out to be loved. I myself now have a nice size flock of these in Lavender and Black and plan on sharing
big_smile.png

I think that APA/ABC recognition should come down a very simple point....Frizzles are accepted as a variety in other breeds. It is considered a feather type/variety. This Silkied feather type is JUST like that....EXACTLY like that...both are mutations that create a "look" in the feather. Silkied/Stringy/Wavy, what ever the heck we call it, is exactly the same. A variety with in the breed. Frizzles are well accepted as that. These should be to.

Right? If that is to be our argument and stance for acceptance as a variety within Ameraucanas, can anyone find a flaw in it? Other than the nay sayers who think it's a cross, but we have geneticist on our side with a documented mutation to trump that, so....

Are we golden here?
smile.png

While I'm not going to hop on the name we should use debate (not a priority of mine - just want to work on these birds whatever we call them) I do think one thing that is interesting and may be a good point to consider when thinking about all this is the "Buff" duck breed. A color name is the breed name. But if you look at the APA list of recognized breed/varieties...you find Call breed with Buff color and Runner breed with Buff color even while the Buff color is a breed name itself (entered as Buff breed, no color variety name). Now, I'm not a duck person so I might be wrong, but isn't this a lot like our Silkie / Silkied AM issue? It seems like something that should be looked at with regards to this particular topic.

Not to oil a fire or anything, just something I noticed but never followed up on investigating.

To me they are Silkied. I remember the name thing happening in the very beginning. I hate Stringy. I am in the FB group and will join others, because I want to be involved as much as possible. I love these birds. I loved them the day Jubaby first posted them.

I hatches out 7 last year that had the feathering. I love every single one due to a dog attack and then our strange below freezing weather this year. I'm starting over. I also owe 6 for a swap. Those splits have been great at laying and I haven't gotten but 3 eggs since I swapped. My Sportsman went down so lost all I had in there went one of my best broodies hatches out eggs and killed all the chicks, so as soon as I get 6 eggs, those are out the door. After that, they only leave after I have a bunch hatches for myself. So bummed.

I have very nice BBS AMs that I can strengthen my flock with later, but for now I just want to have enough to work with and build on. I'd like other colors, but money and space are going to keep me from those for who knows how long. That's fine. As long as I work towards the best BBS Silkieds later, I guess that will be enough. I haven't posted much in here for a long time, since recently. I'm trying to come in more, but the main reason is to ask questions and read. I have a lot of respect for those who we're able to help in the beginning to get enough of these birds around for others. I read every post on the original thread up till a year ago maybe. I know how much work has gone into them and just hope I do right by them.

Back
Top Bottom