Silkied Ameraucana Project

yep just 6 nothing going on with them at all today. Did have one that had pipped that I opend up - pipped and quit. Lot of yolk and liquid in there yet and it had expired. Also a split.
Dosen't sound like the lav boy is getting his share of the action! That's OK - 6 isn't a bad hatch at all - 30% of total shipped, I can work with that. I have black, lav, lav cc and splits to splits can give me a % non lav split silkied to take into the choc side . With all the rain we've had humidity has been running about 50% in the house so I'm thinking it really needs to be dryer dry incubation for these guys. There were only 4 duds/early quitters so certainly not fertility or shipping issues. Ill eggtopsy the rest in a couple days and get back to you on what I find.

yep just 6 nothing going on with them at all today. Did have one that had pipped that I opend up - pipped and quit. Lot of yolk and liquid in there yet and it had expired. Also a split.
Dosen't sound like the lav boy is getting his share of the action! That's OK - 6 isn't a bad hatch at all - 30% of total shipped, I can work with that. I have black, lav, lav cc and splits to splits can give me a % non lav split silkied to take into the choc side . With all the rain we've had humidity has been running about 50% in the house so I'm thinking it really needs to be dryer dry incubation for these guys. There were only 4 duds/early quitters so certainly not fertility or shipping issues. Ill eggtopsy the rest in a couple days and get back to you on what I find.

O gosh yes dry incubation is a must for these! I do not add a drop of water during incubation and my humidity runs about 20-25% the whole time, then I bump it up to around 60 ish at lockdown. They hatch like crazy here! Sounds like your humidity is too high...maybe run a dehumidifier in your incubation room?

And my Lav boy gets ALL the action as he is the only roo in there lol. My hatches have been around a 50 50 mix of lavs to splits and a few hatches have even been Lav heavy. I think maybe you just had a very unlucky hatch
tongue.gif

Oh I don't consider this unlucky at all. 6 chicks is good. A lav or two would have been nice - but in some ways this is actually better, I can strip out the lav easier to take fresh black silkied blood into other projcts. Breed the splits together and get all 3 options. I have good straight feather lav and the lav cuckoo to outcross to, then great blacks after. I'm not impatient - been working projects far too long for that....

Back
Top Bottom