Silkies and Red Sex links- can they co exist?

Tsmith1414

Songster
May 13, 2021
We have 12 silkies that are 7/8 weeks old. We have older hens in a different coop that give us almost enough eggs for our consumption. The silkies were for egg supplementation but also because they are my favorites. We are not sure what roosters to hens ratio is and are looking to supplement our egg supply with some reliable egg layers.

Unfortunately, the only breeds I can find locally to me and in the same age range are red sex links that are currently being raised with bantams. They are also 6/7 weeks old. Can these two breeds co exist? I know there is no real way to tell without doing it, but any suggestions and insight would be appreciated.

Why wouldn't they get along? I'd be very careful with adding outside birds to my flock right now, make sure you quarantine your new birds fat away from your flock for at least a month.
Yes there will be strict quarantine here. There is also strict quarantine/bio security at the sellers. Based on my research, silkies do best with other docile breeds and sometimes the Reds can become too aggressive. Again, no experience with this or known anyone with this experience, just going off what my research is saying.

Yes there will be strict quarantine here. There is also strict quarantine/bio security at the sellers. Based on my research, silkies do best with other docile breeds and sometimes the Reds can become too aggressive. Again, no experience with this or known anyone with this experience, just going off what my research is saying.
Silkies do well with any breed, as silkies can be just as lively. They can't see well past their floor so calmer breeds are less likely to run them over.

Back
Top Bottom