Silkies- genders

They are beautiful silkies...my husband would have a cow if I sat my silkies on the kitchen counter lol

Thanks, my husband is okay with it as l clean up after them.... and it was temporary, just to take the pictures :)

my 9 week old silkie. Hoping we have a hen

The buff has a comb (in the front facing photo) and waddles that are too large to be a hen and a crest that is angled to the back and not rounded. He is definitely a cockrel.

The black has a small black comb like a typical hen and nothing points to male so it's probably a pullet. If the comb gets any larger and starts to develop a purplish-reddish rather than black tint then it might be a he.The crest isn't fully developed enough to tell the gender but if it grows out rounded in shape then it's a hen.
The white one looks like a pullet from the front facing photos, but in the side angle photos the back of the crest is a lot longer than the front and sides which is a good indicator of a silkie being a he, and it looks like he's growing streamers in this photo:
LL

If the crest doesn't start rounding out like a cotton ball then she is probably a he.
This link should help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/609085/sexing-your-silkies-pictures-and-tips-updated-july-5-12

Back
Top Bottom