Silkies not roosting?

BoerneChickens

Songster
9 Years
Mar 3, 2010
Boerne, TX
I have been reading that a lot of folks say that Silkies don't roost - they like to sleep in the nest boxes. Which equals poopy nest boxes I assume. I will soon have a mix of Silkies and a few other types - should I plan some kind of extra "bed" space for the Silkies? How do you keep them from sleeping in the nest boxes? Will they roost if you set up very low roosts? Like 6" off the floor of the coop?

smile.png
I have very low roost poles in my Silkie coops; about half of them will roost on these and the other half like to pile up in the corners, some maybe in the nest boxes, but those are usually just broody anyway. If you have plenty of floor space, those that do not roost will most certainly find a comfortable space to bed down on the floor. My coops have a dirt floor and I pile it high with wood shavings so that they can burrow down into it for warmth and for the occasional dust bath. When it was really cold this winter, I did get them some fresh horse hay and padded it all over the floor for added warmth. I just had to change it out every week, as one might expect.
tongue.png

We have one silkie, and she roosts on the top bar with all the others. Our roosts are like a big ladder, so she just hops right on up.

Last edited:
My silkie doesn't roost in the henhouse like the rest of the flock--rather she has a low branch in the run that she likes to sleep on. Unfortunately I like to have her in the henhouse with everyone else, so she gets moved to a proper place usually (oftentimes I'll put her in the nesting box to sleep). Lately, though, I've been keeping her in the garage with one of my old birds and a chick so I haven't had to move her every night. It's been months so I was hoping she would figure out to go in the henhouse, but no luck!

Thanks for the helpful replies! I am thinking of building a sort of roosting ladder so maybe if I start it witha low rung they can use those to hop up and down.

Back
Top Bottom