Silkies! Silkies! Silkies!

LazytownChick

Songster
5 Years
Jun 9, 2018
Minnesota
Meet Cookie & Cream our silly little silkies. My family is really enjoying this breed. :love Everything they do is so unbearably cute even if they're just eating from the feed bucket or hopping across the yard. I call them our puppy chickens because they're so docile and follow my kids around. My daughter cradles them like dolls and carries them around so I have to remind her to leave them alone sometimes haha! 20180421_082028.jpg 20180421_083612.jpg 20180610_070335.jpg 20180324_084053.jpg 20180610_071316.jpg

Meet Cookie & Cream our silly little silkies. My family is really enjoying this breed. :love Everything they do is so unbearably cute even if they're just eating from the feed bucket or hopping across the yard. I call them our puppy chickens because they're so docile and follow my kids around. My daughter cradles them like dolls and carries them around so I have to remind her to leave them alone sometimes haha! View attachment 1424599 View attachment 1424600 View attachment 1424601 View attachment 1424603 View attachment 1424604
They are absolutely beautiful! I have 2 silkies myself and they are such a gentle breed. They are completely different than a full sized bird. I absolutely love them but they have to be cared for alittle different for me. They are the best to have for kids and if you just want a gentle chicken for a pet or a hobby and they don't even require alot of space. I have a white silkie named Maggie she hatched chicks in March and I have a partridge silkie, she gave me my first chick in December. They are the best mom's they stay with their chicks or chicks seems like forever. Or at least mine did that. Yours are soooo beautiful.

The photo through the doorway with them on their perch messed with me before I clicked it. "What the heck am I looking at??" LOL They are adorable little alien chickens! Heehee! It is still just so amazing to me how social chickens are. How it warms my heart every morning when they come running; now that Psycho Leroy is gone, even the one who wants everyone to think she is "stand-offish" is downright friendly. That would be Rotisserie--the whole 4 hours we were building their new coop, she hovered by the door to watch, taking little "old man naps" every once in a while (head sinking down, bit by bit, eventually the beak thumping down onto the ground). *loving da chickens!*

The photo through the doorway with them on their perch messed with me before I clicked it. "What the heck am I looking at??" LOL They are adorable little alien chickens! Heehee! It is still just so amazing to me how social chickens are. How it warms my heart every morning when they come running; now that Psycho Leroy is gone, even the one who wants everyone to think she is "stand-offish" is downright friendly. That would be Rotisserie--the whole 4 hours we were building their new coop, she hovered by the door to watch, taking little "old man naps" every once in a while (head sinking down, bit by bit, eventually the beak thumping down onto the ground). *loving da chickens!*

Lol! That's hilarious! Before I had chickens I never knew they could have such different personalities. They're so much fun to watch and I love talking about them with my husband and kids but outside of our family and probably this BYC board, I get weird looks when I mention them with such admiration haha!

They are absolutely beautiful! I have 2 silkies myself and they are such a gentle breed. They are completely different than a full sized bird. I absolutely love them but they have to be cared for alittle different for me. They are the best to have for kids and if you just want a gentle chicken for a pet or a hobby and they don't even require alot of space. I have a white silkie named Maggie she hatched chicks in March and I have a partridge silkie, she gave me my first chick in December. They are the best mom's they stay with their chicks or chicks seems like forever. Or at least mine did that. Yours are soooo beautiful.

I would love to see pictures. :D

I would love to see pictures. :D
The white is maggie.she will be a year in July. She hatched her first 2 chicks in March. The orangish chick which I will put the name under her photo is ginger. That is her actual chick. They are of mixed breed. The black chick was an egg from another hen since Maggie went broody and only laid one egg so I gave her another. Her black chick is pepper. Pepper is much larger than Maggie but she still is around her and doesn't want to leave her. I let the mamas raise the chick as long as they like. I don't want to stress them and they are a hobby for me so it's no rush.
IMG_20180518_134400981.jpg
IMG_20180322_180749306.jpg
maggie and her chicks at 2 or 3 days old.
IMG_20180410_170659866_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
pepper
IMG_20180410_171142377.jpg
ginger
IMG_20180518_134413915_HDR.jpg
pepper about 2 weeks ago
IMG_20180518_134150994.jpg
ginger about 2 weeks ago
IMG_20171229_131148304.jpg
this is Queen. This is my partridge she hatched her chick back in December. She will be a year old at the end of june. He chick and her still hang out and now her chick is all grown up an laying eggs herself . Her chick is peep.
IMG_20180113_161202269.jpg
queen and peep about a week old
20180130_153724.jpg
maggie before she went broody
Snapchat-854820757~2.jpg
peep about a month or so ago.
Even tho ginger and peep are silkie mix the only characteristics they carry are the crazy hairdo. They do not have the black skin or fuzzy type feathers which I expected. Ginger has 5 toes on on foot and the other only has 4 so she has a silkie foot and a regular breed foot lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20171229_154929005_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20171229_154929005_HDR.jpg
    692.2 KB · Views: 24
I adore Silkies, but my chickens picked on them. This is my Gold Top Light Sussex/Silkie cross at nearly 5 weeks. A girl I hope (Cleopatra). I don't think any chickens will be picking on her!! IMG_20180610_134352.jpg dc

The white is maggie.she will be a year in July. She hatched her first 2 chicks in March. The orangish chick which I will put the name under her photo is ginger. That is her actual chick. They are of mixed breed. The black chick was an egg from another hen since Maggie went broody and only laid one egg so I gave her another. Her black chick is pepper. Pepper is much larger than Maggie but she still is around her and doesn't want to leave her. I let the mamas raise the chick as long as they like. I don't want to stress them and they are a hobby for me so it's no rush.
View attachment 1424737 View attachment 1424739 maggie and her chicks at 2 or 3 days old.View attachment 1424742 pepperView attachment 1424748 gingerView attachment 1424750 pepper about 2 weeks agoView attachment 1424751 ginger about 2 weeks agoView attachment 1424753 this is Queen. This is my partridge she hatched her chick back in December. She will be a year old at the end of june. He chick and her still hang out and now her chick is all grown up an laying eggs herself . Her chick is peep. View attachment 1424758 queen and peep about a week oldView attachment 1424761 maggie before she went broodyView attachment 1424762peep about a month or so ago.
Even tho ginger and peep are silkie mix the only characteristics they carry are the crazy hairdo. They do not have the black skin or fuzzy type feathers which I expected. Ginger has 5 toes on on foot and the other only has 4 so she has a silkie foot and a regular breed foot lol.

Super cute! My daughter was gushing over your sweet chicks. Thanks so much for sharing.

I adore Silkies, but my chickens picked on them. This is my Gold Top Light Sussex/Silkie cross at nearly 5 weeks. A girl I hope (Cleopatra). I don't think any chickens will be picking on her!!View attachment 1424782 dc

One of my buff orpingtons bullies the silkies one in awhile but she's gotten used to them now. Silkies are so nice, I can see why they would be at the bottom of the pecking order.

Quick question - how many toes do your Silkie cross chicks have generally? Just checked my three chicks and the (girl) has 5 and the boys 4. Is there a sex difference perhaps? xx

Back
Top Bottom