Silver and platinum wood ducks

Here's another one just of the platinum

Very nice! Thanks for posting pictures. So are you breeding them to silver wood ducks, which by the way look great?

They look good Dylan. If you get the chance ask Heath how he came about the platinum hen. I was just curious if it came from a silver crossed with a white.

If that is how they came about, then I will not separate my silver wood duck drake and white wood duck hen that paired up and messed things up! If not, then I better separate them so that they go back to their designated mates.

Okay. Thanks for letting us know. I am going to separate my silvers out the way I wanted them paired. I am pretty sure Jamie Lord also got platinums out of silver breedings.

I haven't kept silver wood ducks for over a decade but back in the day the "platinum" were culls from silver to silver breedings. The darkest silvers we got came from silver hens with split drakes. Silver to silver produced a whole array of silver hues, from dark to really a washed out gray-white (almost always hens) which apparently now are called platinum.

Danny

That is so useful to know! The drake I have is a middle shade of gray, not as dark as I want. I have split drakes but I want to get platinums. Would I get dark silver coloring from breeding a split drake to a split hen?

Have you had a chance to review this wood duck color genetics page by the late Maurice Field?
http://www.utm.edu/departments/cece/idea/aixgenetics.shtml

You might find it helpful as you play around with wood duck mutations.

Split to split will result in 25% silvers, but it'll also produce 25% normals (not splits) and 50% splits again. The headache is figuring out which 25% of the 75% of normal colored birds aren't split. This is where people would get hosed back in the day...they'd pay big bucks for "splits" and get a plain old wood ducks.

Danny

I already know about what the crosses will be, but that link is very helpful. I was wondering if split to split will result in the 25% silver birds being a really dark silver coloring.

Back
Top Bottom