Silver Appleyard Question:

The ones marked with ? are drakes.

Color of the ducklings has no bearing on sex of Appleyards. All Appleyards should have a dark mohawk and dark at the base of the tail. I've never seen an Appleyard duckling with stripes around the eyes.

Appleyards can have stripes around their eyes when they are ducklings. They resemble a Rouen. This is a recessive trait and these ducks do not meet the breed standard. However, they do have all the same qualities as the standard Appleyard (eggs and meat). They should be used as utility only and not for breeding. I believe the variability of Appleyards is discussed in the breed bulletin that Holderread has written.

Quote:
Does that also explain the Appleyards that are a lot darker than the normal color? I was surprised to get some like that a few years back. It wasn't what I expected, having gotten the more correct colors previously.

I'm sure it doesn't explain the lovely duckling I got from a friend that was supposed to be a Silver Appleyard and is clearly a SA/Saxony cross (she has Saxonys too!). It looks more like a Saxony with Appleyard traits - oops! Oh well, she'll still lay good eggs. The other two are clearly Appleyards.

GrannyCarol-
I just read over the bulletin again. It just states that there is variability in the gene pool of Appleyards. The adult males can have white on their faces or be almost solid green. I have talked to Dave about the males and he has said that when selecting breeding males oen should look for a soild white ring around the neck and flecking of gray and browns in the face as well as white. The adult females also vary. I have no problem telling them apart. I do have a female that looks like it could be a cross between a Saxony and an Appleyard but is a purebred. She is darker than the other 5 ducks. When she was a duckling, she had a wider black mohawk on her head. I would be interested in seeing a picture of your to see if it looks anything like mine. I have a friend who also has a darker Appleyard female. This female did not display the thick mohawk though when she was a duckling.

There is variability in the breed like there is in Welsh Harlequins. In addition to the "Rouen like" coloring in the plumage that can be displayed at times (like I noted in the previous reply), there is also a pure white version. This is also due to the Silver Appleyard genotype and is common. I have had one before any they are beautiful! They have similar plumage to a snowy owl. His name was Moby Duck. When mine was a duckling it had no mohawk at all but did display the black tail. I have read somewhere that typically the ducklings should display the mohawk but do not always.

When breeding one should select away from the darker, white, and "Rouen like" birds if they want to breed true to the standards.

My Saxony/Appleyard cross had a mohawk as a duckling and a dark tail, but they were dilute (blue) and she looks just like a Saxony in physical shape, very little like an Appleyard. Other than a really nice double eye stripe, her feathers look like a Saxony with shading on them. I had a couple of the Rouen type, to be honest, due also to their body type, I suspect that there has been crossing out to other breeds to get more vigor in the lines, they were not quite the same physically as well as color. Of course I base my ideal type on our first Appleyard, who was from Holderreads and matches their picture of a good example of the breed.
smile.png

Lily:

Picture048.jpg

Bluebell (Saxony/Appleyard cross) in front, Appleyard behind her:

stuff007.jpg

Again at about six weeks, I think:

ducklings026.jpg

Quote:
I think you are correct about the Saxony/Appleyard cross. What a beautiful bird! I love the plumage!
All of my ducks are from Holderreads. I do have a SA duck from one of his TSQ batches that is darker and has a smaller frame like the Saxony female I have. But, I also think my Saxony female is a bit small. Their heads are more rounded and slender, however their plumage is up to standard. I would displat photos but the weather has been really windy and rainy the last few days. I will post photos when I get a chance.

I don't mind the cross at all, I think she's gorgeous. In fact, I had an Appleyard cross that I loved, a gorgeous blue Appleyard drake out of Lily and a blue and white drake. Unfortunately I lost him this summer, before I could use him on Bluebell! I'm tempted to mess with some crosses for fun, as well as maintaining my pure bloodlines... oh dear!

Larry - the picture doesn't convey his charisma and beauty:

Ducks-Saxony019.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom