Silver laced Cochin Bantams

I am looking for eggs, chicks or young pullets if anyone has any available!
Mine came from lucky pickens. They aren't the greatest, but they are way better than hatchery stock. You can see pictures of them up above, they are now 4 months old. I just talked to Rosyln (lucky pickens) the other day and she said that her silver laced hens are currerntly molting, but they are slowly coming out of it and she should have 4 more silver laced pullets laying this April. She sells hatching eggs all the time, if you'd like her email address, send me a pm.

I also found someone in the cochin's international breeders directory. When I talked to him, I believe he said he has been working on his line for nearly 40 years. He said that he would try to get me some hatching eggs later this spring and that he usually has young brids available in the fall. If you want his contact information, send me a pm.

Hi all! Today is such a beautiful spring day here in Colorado! Thought I may try to revive this thread. Our little hatchery SLs are outside in the rabbit hutch soaking up sun. I've visited with other breeders and SLs will be a long haul to breed to Standard. Some have bred SLs to columbian, birchen and even white to make improvements. One issue is often autosomal red, a tough color to move out. I even find that red in my splash silkies at times.

Hello I would like to start off with saying what beautiful pictures! I am very new at this with chickens, geese, and my ducks. So far its been a wonderful experience, and I'm so thrilled with my decision to get some. I've fallen in love with the Cochin (standard). Upon many others I have a question please forgive my ignorance please...ok if I breed a white Cochin male to any color lets use black for example what would or could I get? I just stopped a 10 year hobby of breeding show quality Persians and genetics in some instances were quite complex, but I know them backwards and forwards. After reading a lot of post ect....I'm seeing genetics for these guys may be even more complicated. Also is there a book that anyone could suggest for genetics of a chicken, color, bad or unwanted genes ect...as with chickens RED is also a sex linked gene w cats as well, and white is a dominate gene that ALWAYS masks another color. Its an "inhibitor gene" it doesn't allow the true color to be visible, however you have ro see it to get it ...its not carried . I see here it can be carried which is a little confusing for me. Could anyone help me with this either on here or privately I've got so many questions if anyone is willing even to call me I would be most appreciative. I'm wanting to learn all of this so badly. In advance thank you my name is Shellie. 281-687-0371 I'm in the Houston area. :)

One more note to save my life I can't post any pictures in any kind of way ....perhaps because I'm working from my phone butt have not had this problem before . That's why I've got no picture for my profile. Lol Grrr!

Hello I would like to start off with saying what beautiful pictures! I am very new at this with chickens, geese, and my ducks. So far its been a wonderful experience, and I'm so thrilled with my decision to get some. I've fallen in love with the Cochin (standard). Upon many others I have a question please forgive my ignorance please...ok if I breed a white Cochin male to any color lets use black for example what would or could I get? I just stopped a 10 year hobby of breeding show quality Persians and genetics in some instances were quite complex, but I know them backwards and forwards. After reading a lot of post ect....I'm seeing genetics for these guys may be even more complicated. Also is there a book that anyone could suggest for genetics of a chicken, color, bad or unwanted genes ect...as with chickens RED is also a sex linked gene w cats as well, and white is a dominate gene that ALWAYS masks another color. Its an "inhibitor gene" it doesn't allow the true color to be visible, however you have ro see it to get it ...its not carried . I see here it can be carried which is a little confusing for me. Could anyone help me with this either on here or privately I've got so many questions if anyone is willing even to call me I would be most appreciative. I'm wanting to learn all of this so badly. In advance thank you my name is Shellie. 281-687-0371 I'm in the Houston area.
smile.png

Hey :)

Your first question is a lot more complex then you realise. Breeding white to black would depend on many things, which white are you talking about? There are the two base types of white dominant white i+ and recessive white I. Genes in poultry will often express in the f1 cross and not always from the sire/dame mating.

Black hides a lot of other enhancers and restrictors too. But a recessive white roo to a pure black hen will give you 100% black offspring in the f1, the f1xf1 cross will result in 25 % white, 75 black.

A dominant white cross black hen should give you white f1, with plenty of leakage.

The inhibitors in chickens tend to act differently then what you have described, the effect of columbian (Co) for example in a partridge cross will push the colour to a buff colour, and restrict the black into the hackles and saddle of the offspring.

The "red" that you are referring to is Gold, the base of gold is s+ (wildtype), Silver being (S).

So a partridge male s+/s+ cross to a silver hen S will give you a sex linked gold, with the males being heterozygous gold S/s+(yellow) and the females being gold s+/-

The best book i have heard is out of print, but if you can try and find "Creative Poultry Breeding" By Dr. Carefoot. it is slightly out of date though, but the basics are the basics.

If you have any further questions then feel free to pm me,i will probably not know the answer but can point you in the right direction
smile.png

Here's my little hen. Small in size compared to my other cochins

Beautiful! I would love to see more pictures. Is she one of your hatchery birds? Which hatchery did you go through?

I found the hen (pictured above, post 26) on craigslist and her owner said that she came from WELP hatchery. I may order a batch of chicks from them next spring in hopes of receiving a few as good as, or better than her. The type needs a lot of work, but I really like her lacing and I feel that she'll give me a good start.

Back
Top Bottom