Silver Laced Orpingtons (LF)

After many years of breeding the Pure English Orrington's it has given us all and has much happiness to own and breed such a beautiful group and variety of quality of rare chickens. I can't thank of group of outstanding bree
Well I went and asked the most professional Silver Laced Orpington Breeder I know! Keith Gibbons. I have great news! He said that to get more genetics in the Silver pool so they aren't as in-breed put a Silver Laced Roo over Gold Laced Hens! He said since the Silver Laced Gene is dominant all the Rooster from the Silver/Golden mix will be gold DONT USE! These are barnyard mix basically! He said that the hens will be Pure Silver! He said you can breed those back to the silver Roo to get more genetics!

Hello all I am located in TN and looking to buy some too quality English orpingtons. I've been looking into importing myself but can't seem to get anywhere on that part. Please let me know if anyone in US carries top quality. Thanks so much

:)Yes, time will tell for all of the breeder that try to breed the English Orpington, Silverlaced to the Goldlaced Orpington….as many of you are aware there are only a few what is called "True/Pure Silverlaced (English) Orpingtons...best of luck to all....there should be no surprise to seeing that not all Silvers bred to Silvers will produce True or Pure English English Silverlaced as long as the Gold Laced has been bred into these lines. You will not see any gold leakage in any chicks hatched...this will come out many, many months laters, 7-12 months later and sometime earlier. This has been knowledge passed down to me by the curator of the English Silverlaced.:)

Yes its time to tell everyone that the above information is still incorrect. Gold/silver is sex linked.
A hen only carries one gene for this and can ONLY be silver or gold. If it carries silver it will not develop gold later.
A rooster can carry one of each gene and will appear silver but develop a yellowish color with age.
If crosses gold lace and silver lace stay away from using cockerels in future breeding but pullets from a silver laced rooster will be just as pure from a SL rooster over a GL hen as they are from SL to SL breeding.
You can use GL hens to bring in new blood to SL lines if you only continue further with the resulting pullets.

Yes its time to tell everyone that the above information is still incorrect. Gold/silver is sex linked.
A hen only carries one gene for this and can ONLY be silver or gold. If it carries silver it will not develop gold later.
A rooster can carry one of each gene and will appear silver but develop a yellowish color with age.
If crosses gold lace and silver lace stay away from using cockerels in future breeding but pullets from a silver laced rooster will be just as pure from a SL rooster over a GL hen as they are from SL to SL breeding.
You can use GL hens to bring in new blood to SL lines if you only continue further with the resulting pullets.

But there is still a very real issue with leakage with these gold birds crossed into silver lines, no?

My understanding is that "Gold Leakage" is actually autosomal red leakage? And this has just been termed 'gold leakage' because it results from the red enhancers found in gold lines, that have been selected out of, or never existed in silver lines....

I'm not sure that anyone is saying that the birds with leakage have inherited the gold gene, but rather there is just some gold colored leakage that comes from the gold bird... and that is generally attributed to autosomal red.... I think?

As in this bird which was created when crossing a blue laced red wyandotte hen with a silver laced wyandotte rooster

Last edited:
That poster is referring to silver laced pullets/hens as also carrying gold laced genes sight unseen or with the gold bleed and passing them on later to produce gold laced offspring. He's argued that point many times with me. I'm sure you can go back through this thread and get an idea of his thoughts which I'll still argue is wrong and misinforming people. Just a real quick look and I found his post #172 that shows he's talking about them carrying gold.
Another interesting post is #160 where he talked to his expert silver laced Orpington breeder which stated the same thing I've been saying but then goes right back to his misinformation and ignoring what his expert told him.

Old thread but, just hatched my first silver laced. Love the colors and temperament of these birds!

Attachments

• 20190916_161329.jpg
    20190916_161329.jpg
    353.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20190916_161550.jpg
    20190916_161550.jpg
    700.2 KB · Views: 1
  • FB_IMG_1567365493618.jpg
    FB_IMG_1567365493618.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 1
But there is still a very real issue with leakage with these gold birds crossed into silver lines, no?

My understanding is that "Gold Leakage" is actually autosomal red leakage? And this has just been termed 'gold leakage' because it results from the red enhancers found in gold lines, that have been selected out of, or never existed in silver lines
Yes, specially when breeding Red enhanced Laced birds with Silver birds, you will have Autosomal red and Mahogany to worry about leaking on some hens

Back
Top Bottom