Silver Laced Orpingtons (LF)

It is rather amazing that a breeder, that breed what is called a quality Orpingtons, but is determined to put his 2 cents in when he doesn't even breed the English Orpingtons. His claim to fame is "I had Chickens when Chickens wasn't cool... guess we don't know what plant he may have come but as a scientist chickens have been long before this claim was made! perhaps this makes him feel he is much better then most chicken breeders, Chickens have been on our soil for many, many generations and will continue to grace us whether among breeding and showing or enjoying all of us a pets! one must look and look at our surroundings to see how many breeds of chickens bring much happiness into all of our lives! Dr. Brennon long time observer of all domesticated chickens will continue to see what is best for all living creatures, perhaps this fellow should try a different approach to understand how important all fowl is a balance to our fragile environment. Stop looking at the bad but to realize all nature plays apart of a balance so we all can exist for all of us.

For me that post went from funny to just plain way out there. Believe or make up what you will about me as a breeder and say what you will about the Orpingtons I've raised. Although I haven't raised the all mighty English silver laced Orpingtons I'd stand my orps up next to anyones and be proud.
But that's neither here nor there.
The discussion was about silver laced pullets from silver laced roosters over gold laced hens carrying gold or not and passing gold on or not to their offspring when bred to a silver laced rooster that doesn't carry gold.

How about showing any reliable source that can confirm as you say that they can carry gold and pass it on. Any sources to back your statement?
Also since you had so many of these gold carrying pullets come up from your breeding and showed yellowing, have any pics of any of those?
Have any pics of any of those pullets or hens from any of the numerous breeders that contacted you for your English silver laced Orpingtons?

Spangle hen 02-21-15 011.JPG
Spangle hen, one of Coopers' daughter

@TheMoonshiner There's no use in trying to argue with Louise/Marc (whoever owns this account now. It's changed hands a couple times) Sometimes he/she claims their silver laced flock is from Keiths Orpingtons, sometimes he/she claims Bob Follows. Sometimes Netherlands, sometimes from England. Neither Keith nor Bob Follows has exported to the US direct off of their farm, at least according to Keith's correspondence. On another note, everyone here knows the genetic advice being offered by the user is muddled at best. The owner of the above account just a few years ago was passing off all Spangled x Jubilee crosses as pure Spangled which resulted in many many breeders down the road having red leakage problems in the US.

@TheMoonshiner There's no use in trying to argue with Louise/Marc (whoever owns this account now. It's changed hands a couple times) Sometimes he/she claims their silver laced flock is from Keiths Orpingtons, sometimes he/she claims Bob Follows. Sometimes Netherlands, sometimes from England. Neither Keith nor Bob Follows has exported to the US direct off of their farm, at least according to Keith's correspondence. On another note, everyone here knows the genetic advice being offered by the user is muddled at best. The owner of the above account just a few years ago was passing off all Spangled x Jubilee crosses as pure Spangled which resulted in many many breeders down the road having red leakage problems in the US.
Thanks for the heads up.
Ya I've pretty much came to that conclusion.
Seems from past posts that they got a few decent orps from someone and just continue to post those same pics year after year.
I just post so others can think about what's being said and look into it further for themselves if interested.

Can someone please help me understand this chick I hatched out from eggs I bought.

Breeder states she has one hen that occasionally throws a ‘white’ chick that so far have been male.

At first I thought, Sport? But is it actually double silver? And what if any benefit would it be to use for breeding?

Thanks in advance :frow
I know this was almost a year ago, but I am curious if you ever got an answer to this? I had the same thing happen.

I know this was almost a year ago, but I am curious if you ever got an answer to this? I had the same thing happen.
If you're hatching solid white chicks from silver laced parents then the chicks are recessive white.
That means the mother and father is carrying the gene.
One copy goes sight unseen and two copies produce white chicks.
There's no reason to breed them unless you're looking to produce whites.
Every chick produced by a white parent will carry one copy of the gene so not what I'd want in a silver laced breeding pen.

Back
Top Bottom