Silver Laced Wyandotte - Pullet or Roo? -- June 13th- 8 WEEKS OLD- new photos

What am I?

• Pullet

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • Cockerel

Votes: 29 54.7%

• Total voters
Pics
Here is that little roo at 4 weeks. Still does not have a whole lot of feathers but his waddles are coming in really nicely and both them and his comb are getting really red.
HOLY WATTLES! This actually gives me hope for my Townline dottes. They are about 12 weeks now... I think... Oh jeez, I don't remember now! I have had so many chicks hatch between broodies I can't not remember the date that I got them now. I got them for a broody whose eggs are bad, and she would not take them, so I put them under another broody whose were due to hatch in two days... Along with some other silkies. She was only on 2 silkie eggs anyway... LOL, she ended up with 6 chicks while she was still sitting on the 2, and she sat tight on those two until they hatched. LOL. Silkie hens are marvelous creatures... LOL

Sure, post pics every 1-2 weeks. I personally think you should go ahead and post both male and female still, however. There's no words for how much a comparison shot helps.

Here is the 7 week old roo. he just now is feathering out really good.

here are 2 of our 7 week old pullets. Notice the one on the right has a single comb as mentioned in the incubator anonymous thread

and here is our newest member. all under momma's wing but you can see his/her little head. Hatch date 7/18 at 5:30pm. Im so proud of the hen. This is her first.

Thanks for the PM on Henry's first chick! It is a cutie pie and I'm sure he is so proud! Is he being a good boy with the hen and chicks? When you are taking those pics of the babies, throw in a couple of their Dad! I will subscribe.....

He is being really good. Really has no interests in the little ones. He will have 3 more girls to play with in about another 8 weeks or so then more in about 3 months. I will try and get some pics of him some time this weekend. I just so proud of the momma hen. she is doing really good for it to be her first.

its not just the combs. its also the patterns on their chests. hens have a overlapping tight pattern, and roos have a broken, not near as nice as pattern.
See here is the problem that I would have using the patterns on the chest. These 2 girls almost have no white at all on their chest. They are both fairly dark with very little white. The top ones momma was the same way.

and you can tell with this one there was something else mixed in there somewhere. Got her momma from a hatchery and she is also fairly dark and has a single comb a as well.

See here is the problem that I would have using the patterns on the chest. These 2 girls almost have no white at all on their chest. They are both fairly dark with very little white. The top ones momma was the same way.

and you can tell with this one there was something else mixed in there somewhere. Got her momma from a hatchery and she is also fairly dark and has a single comb a as well.

Unfortunately I've learned that's what you get from a hatchery. Almost funny that they can even be called silver laced. What lacing? I'm still waiting for any inkling of lacing anywhere (mine look exactly like yours). Funny part is that I was warned by a show breeder about the differences and I still did it when I could have paid a little more to have some of her gorgeous babies. Oh well, lesson learned, but now I use that knowledge to warn others.

Now I did get some that are the perfect example of one. Our dominant hen is like that. **** near show quality and a few of the others. 2 of my 12 week olds would be. But then again the main decided factor when we got them other than we liked the coloring was they are good egg layers. I have 2 boys that seem to eat a lot and I'd rather trust eggs I know where are coming from.

Funny enough I do have one bird with beautiful lacing, and I don't even know what he is. He's a mutt I saw running around someones farm and I had to have him. I'm positive he has Wyandotte in him, but he also has a beard, spiky hair( like a polish), and now long blond hackles and sickles. I really should update his picture. this one is 2 months old.

Back
Top Bottom