Silverudd's Blue

Reading about your SB eggs in the Feb hatchalong got me really excited for my SB eggs to hatch. 5/7 of my SB eggs hatched. That makes them 2 weeks old. I ended up with 4 blues and 1 splash. I'll have to post some pics. I remember you said you got your some different sources. Do you mind saying who you got your eggs from? And what lines of imports they're from?

I'm just learned about such things (lines, imports). The eggs I had came in an assorted purebred lot from Foxfire Farms in ID. I bought a 30 egg lot on eBay. These SB eggs were included in that. They were such beautiful eggs and the most she sent of any one breed. When they hatched the chicks were incredibly robust right out of the egg. I was impressed. Which brought me to this thread. Depending on how they grow out I might be looking to grow my little flock.

I spotted a January Potluck special on their Purebreeds and ordered 12 for my first ever hatch. Anyone in the Portland area wanting a possible Breeding group or the Cockerels from this hatch - contact me! Wish me luck! Temp gague and Candling light look to work great on the new Incubator - not sure on turner and PO/F settings yet - instructions in Chinese. i've ordered separate hygrometer/temp gauge...and will try to mark the turning rods to see if they are turn[ng in tomorrows test. Room humidity is at 70 today...i assume only 1 of 2 trays should have water to start.

My first Silverudd’s Blue eggs from Marceline! She’s in my layer pen right now.
FCEDD1A4-4A09-49E5-B45C-4F087DA8CAA8.jpeg

She is a beautiful hen!, and such a pretty egg:love My two silverudd sisters, Isla & Isolde are my best layers- they have not stopped laying even when my 20 other hens of different breeds all stopped! I really love this breed.
How awesome!! Was this their first winter? Share pics!!

How awesome!! Was this their first winter? Share pics!!
Yes this is their first winter laying. They were hatched November 2019 and started laying in April at 5 months old. They each lay 6 eggs a week and the blue hens egg is an extra large egg sometimes a jumbo and the splash hen lays a medium egg lol. They are both looking not their best right now lol and I couldn’t get the lighting right to get the true color of the eggs
A3A0D3A4-1036-4CF6-BFBD-B7955DAA4970.jpeg
9E3CD8E4-7075-491B-B3E1-FB3715604373.png

Yes this is their first winter laying. They were hatched November 2019 and started laying in April at 5 months old. They each lay 6 eggs a week and the blue hens egg is an extra large egg sometimes a jumbo and the splash hen lays a medium egg lol. They are both looking not their best right now lol and I couldn’t get the lighting right to get the true color of the eggsView attachment 2480938View attachment 2480939
Oh, wow!! Love the colors, and I was wondering about the egg sizes people get. I have two blue sisters that look similar to yours. They are not laying yet. They will be 6 months old in a week! 😱

Attachments

• C915B266-F1AC-41D7-90B7-C74044E445C6.jpeg
    C915B266-F1AC-41D7-90B7-C74044E445C6.jpeg
    836.3 KB · Views: 11
  • E21C2CDB-6A19-403D-B09F-F227350DBB6E.jpeg
    E21C2CDB-6A19-403D-B09F-F227350DBB6E.jpeg
    739.5 KB · Views: 14
Oh, wow!! Love the colors, and I was wondering about the egg sizes people get. I have two blue sisters that look similar to yours. They are not laying yet. They will be 6 months old in a week! 😱
I find it funny bc my blue hen is my smallest hen but her eggs are bigger then my big Bielefelder hens. I had a group of 4 month old pullets start laying and I was surprised that they started so young- but I had given a few to my sister and they weren’t laying. The only real difference being that I fed mine a flock raiser 20% feed and hers were getting 16% feed. As soon as she switched to a higher protein feed they all started laying. I also found that my group of olive egger pullets stopped laying when they were put with the layers on 16% feed- so we mixed in the flock raiser and they started laying again:idunnothey are all out to free range most days so I found it funny that the feed seemed to make such a difference.

Back
Top Bottom