Silverudd's Blue

Pics
I just started getting some pullet eggs 3 days ago. There is a high likelihood that the new layer is the Silverudd's Blue pullet. She would have started laying the day before she turned 21 weeks. Here's a few pictures of the eggs. Amazing color saturation. I'm assuming they're like Marans where the darkest eggs come first then over the season they lighten up. I'll update again when I know for sure which hen is laying. It's happening early in the morning. If I go out early enough I think I can catch her in the nest box.

Pics of the new eggs with a few other colors for comparison. Also a pic of the lady herself. She the blue bird second from the left. She came from Foxfire Poultry hatching eggs.

IMG_20200712_140022441.jpg IMG_20200712_140056140.jpg IMG_20200627_155735924.jpg

So of the 10 silverudd eggs I bought back in may Only 2 hatched on June 12th and I got a black and a splash lol no blue:( I had bought those eggs because they were first import only so I was hoping to get a rooster that had dark eyes since my blue roo doesn’t. But the black chick that I think is a roo doesn’t seem to have very dark eyes...and his comb look exactly the same as my older rooster- the two things that made me not want to use him in breeding pure Silverudds. I’m going to attach some pics and if anyone has any thoughts on if these are things that should be culled...
605A9A86-5E96-42B2-94BC-6C280EF44B8A.jpeg
so this is my new lil guy(I think it’s a roo anyway lol)
8097CEC5-D15B-44D9-AD86-290A4122A144.jpeg
this is what I’m wondering about on his comb- is that a spur on the very back of his comb? My older rooster looks just like this
E4898165-D48A-453D-ABE5-C01AFB3C4B03.jpeg

Now here are some pics of my older blue SB- notice how light his eyes are?
204EC15B-81B5-493C-B808-B37D1B8F423A.jpeg
4FC8E86E-E2A2-4D86-899D-BD3FC0FC0CD3.jpeg
then idk if you can see the back of his comb- it looks the same as the chick...
38A35744-7017-4E4B-9293-1E5D40570FC5.jpeg

And then here is my little splash(hopefully pullet!)or do we think this is also a roo?
ABE0254D-DC0E-40C1-BC64-C68C242DB6BA.jpeg
818304E7-0712-496C-BE22-CE0DD6605B52.jpeg

So of the 10 silverudd eggs I bought back in may Only 2 hatched on June 12th and I got a black and a splash lol no blue:( I had bought those eggs because they were first import only so I was hoping to get a rooster that had dark eyes since my blue roo doesn’t. But the black chick that I think is a roo doesn’t seem to have very dark eyes...and his comb look exactly the same as my older rooster- the two things that made me not want to use him in breeding pure Silverudds. I’m going to attach some pics and if anyone has any thoughts on if these are things that should be culled...View attachment 2244516so this is my new lil guy(I think it’s a roo anyway lol)View attachment 2244514this is what I’m wondering about on his comb- is that a spur on the very back of his comb? My older rooster looks just like this View attachment 2244522
Now here are some pics of my older blue SB- notice how light his eyes are?View attachment 2244526View attachment 2244527then idk if you can see the back of his comb- it looks the same as the chick...View attachment 2244528
And then here is my little splash(hopefully pullet!)or do we think this is also a roo?View attachment 2244542View attachment 2244543
Thanks for all the great pics. I just want to comment on the splash since that’s where my experience lies for now. Based on my little guy’s pics at a month, your splash looks quite roo-like too. 😔 Here’s some pics of Poppy at 4-5 weeks:

Attachments

• 24EED835-49CE-4037-9BBA-7C84F930E852.jpeg
    24EED835-49CE-4037-9BBA-7C84F930E852.jpeg
    248.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 5B401234-FF14-451A-896D-B9EE798FE44B.jpeg
    5B401234-FF14-451A-896D-B9EE798FE44B.jpeg
    332.1 KB · Views: 9
So of the 10 silverudd eggs I bought back in may Only 2 hatched on June 12th and I got a black and a splash lol no blue:( I had bought those eggs because they were first import only so I was hoping to get a rooster that had dark eyes since my blue roo doesn’t. But the black chick that I think is a roo doesn’t seem to have very dark eyes...and his comb look exactly the same as my older rooster- the two things that made me not want to use him in breeding pure Silverudds. I’m going to attach some pics and if anyone has any thoughts on if these are things that should be culled...View attachment 2244516so this is my new lil guy(I think it’s a roo anyway lol)View attachment 2244514this is what I’m wondering about on his comb- is that a spur on the very back of his comb? My older rooster looks just like this View attachment 2244522
Now here are some pics of my older blue SB- notice how light his eyes are?View attachment 2244526View attachment 2244527then idk if you can see the back of his comb- it looks the same as the chick...View attachment 2244528
And then here is my little splash(hopefully pullet!)or do we think this is also a roo?View attachment 2244542View attachment 2244543
Interesting. Who did you buy your hatching eggs from? I'm still learning about the different lines and breeders.

As for your rooster I'll withhold judgement. I'm just too inexperienced with this breed to be of assistance. I will say I think he's gorgeous! :love

As for the chicks. It looks like they're just shy of 5 weeks. I've only raised 3 Silverudd's but they were very tricky to sex at that age. I has a much easier time around 1 week old. At 5-6 week the pullets already had very red combs. More than I've seen in any other breed. Looked at by themselves they could easily been mistaken for roosters. I have some good pics showing this. I'll dig them out sometime today.

If I had to guess I'd say your black one is a roo. The splash I'd cautiously guess pullet! Based on it's posture in your hand.

Last edited:
These chicks were 6 weeks 2 days old in these photos. The splash is roo and the blues are pullets. You can see how the pullets could easily pass for roos when photographed individually. I need to work with this line some more to see if this hold true across a larger sample size.

IMG_20200329_121348781.jpg IMG_20200329_121342382.jpg IMG_20200329_121312123.jpg IMG_20200329_121306057.jpg IMG_20200329_121316793.jpg

Here's my current SB hatch. Ordered a dozen from Foxfire Poultry. Received 14. 13 have made it to day 11 (today). They look great! Perfect development and solid aircells (shipped eggs). This includes 1 that arrived with a hairline crack. I wiped that egg with hydrogen peroxide and applied nail polish. I've had repaired eggs hatch before. This is the first one for me that was repaired before incubating and done well.

I have high hopes for a great hatch. Just starting the obvious they're the blue green eggs in the outline.

IMG_20200715_100858048~2.jpg

Thanks for all the great pics. I just want to comment on the splash since that’s where my experience lies for now. Based on my little guy’s pics at a month, your splash looks quite roo-like too. 😔 Here’s some pics of Poppy at 4-5 weeks:
Yes I remember I thought Poppy was a roo too, that’s why I’m not sure Of my splash- it’s comb and wattles are smaller then the black one but the comb is there and honestly if it is a roo I wouldn’t be too sad because it has the nice dark eyes and I could breed it to my blue and splash hens that I have that also have dark eyes and nice legs color and they are amazing layers! I get 6-7 eggs a week from each and they are my favorite eggs with beautiful speckles most days!:D
how old is poppy now?

Interesting. Who did you buy your hatching eggs from? I'm still learning about the different lines and breeders.

As for your rooster I'll withhold judgement. I'm just too inexperienced with this breed to be of assistance. I will say I think he's gorgeous! :love

As for the chicks. It looks like they're just shy of 5 weeks. I've only raised 3 Silverudd's but they were very tricky to sex at that age. I has a much easier time around 1 week old. At 5-6 week the pullets already had very red combs. More than I've seen in any other breed. Looked at by themselves they could easily been mistaken for roosters. I have some good pics showing this. I'll dig them out sometime today.

If I had to guess I'd say your black one is a roo. The splash I'd cautiously guess pullet! Based on it's posture in your hand.
Thanks for all the pictures!
These 2 chicks are from Windy Whiskers in Texas. They were beautiful eggs and packaged wonderfully but I had a horrible hatch with them.
I had 6 chicks hatch from eggs from Florida last November and I kept the trio of that blue rooster and a blue and splash hens. I’m just trying to get the first import look of really dark eyes, dark legs- I love how they look with those dark beady eyes lol

Thanks for all the pictures!
These 2 chicks are from Windy Whiskers in Texas. They were beautiful eggs and packaged wonderfully but I had a horrible hatch with them.
I had 6 chicks hatch from eggs from Florida last November and I kept the trio of that blue rooster and a blue and splash hens. I’m just trying to get the first import look of really dark eyes, dark legs- I love how they look with those dark beady eyes lol
Cool. They are on my short list of who to get eggs from for my next hatch. I'm always on the lookout for a good breeder.

That's funny you like the dark eye. After years of dabbling in Marans, where the dark eyes are a fault, they drive me nuts! I like those bright orange eyes you'll see in top drawer Marans. It'll be quite the adjustment to favor the reverse of that.

Cool. They are on my short list of who to get eggs from for my next hatch. I'm always on the lookout for a good breeder.

That's funny you like the dark eye. After years of dabbling in Marans, where the dark eyes are a fault, they drive me nuts! I like those bright orange eyes you'll see in top drawer Marans. It'll be quite the adjustment to favor the reverse of that.
I have Marans too, so I get what you mean. I just love having them all look different lol I think my little SB hens with their black eyes look like stuffed toys with dark button eyes or something :confused::lol:

Back
Top Bottom