Simple PVC Feeder (PICS)

ShelterFarm

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 4, 2012
Clayton, Ohio
I've been getting tired of my flock wasting a lot of feed so I decided to put together a simple feeder based on other designs I've seen. Here are some pictures and comments. Feedback and questions welcome...

The whole thing - it's a few feet of 3" Schedule 40 PVC along with a 3" Wye - I also looked at using a sanitary-tee, but it would not hold the feed and would result in waste. I put an "expanding test plug" in the bottom of the wye (will add pic later) to plug the bottom of the wye, so the lower section of PVC is actually empty and functions only as a stand. Eventually once I figure out placement I'll permanently mount it.

This is a close up of the "test cap" that I can use for covering the top opening so as to prevent water and bugs from getting in.

I also put a 1" ring of PVC in the Wye so I could use a test cap here as well when things are locked up overnight.

And here's one of the red star hens eating out of it. Virtually no waste = happiness.

Great Idea!
thumbsup.gif
. I've been looking into very similar plans myself.

Thats a really clever idea. I think I might try to do something like that this weekend.
And I like the sign above the door on your coop.
lol.png

My only concern would be rain water getting in thru the "Y" and soaking the feed at the bottom if it was used outdoors. But you have a great idea there.

I ought to put up some new pictures since I'm now running the double-wye configuration with much success. only rarely have I had to clean it out due to water intrusion and I can always plug up one of the holes if the rain is being driven.

This is currently supporting about 20 chickens and I have virtually no waste.

R

smile.png

Nice, I'm planning on making a PVC feeder this week. I like your idea, but I still want to try something I saw on youtube. It is 4" PVC Vertical to a 90 and then a horizontal piece of 4" That is capped off, and holes cut into it so the chickens can put their heads in and feed. The vertical piece is notched out so it can go further into the 90 coupling to only have the horizontal piece partially filled. I was also looking at putting a 5G bucket on top for extra storage. I do like that your version can easily be blocked off. I am planning on putting mine out of the weather so I don't think it'll be a big issue. You do have me rethinking this a bit. Please post an updated picture, thanks.

I've been getting tired of my flock wasting a lot of feed so I decided to put together a simple feeder based on other designs I've seen. Here are some pictures and comments. Feedback and questions welcome...

The whole thing - it's a few feet of 3" Schedule 40 PVC along with a 3" Wye - I also looked at using a sanitary-tee, but it would not hold the feed and would result in waste. I put an "expanding test plug" in the bottom of the wye (will add pic later) to plug the bottom of the wye, so the lower section of PVC is actually empty and functions only as a stand. Eventually once I figure out placement I'll permanently mount it.

This is a close up of the "test cap" that I can use for covering the top opening so as to prevent water and bugs from getting in.

I also put a 1" ring of PVC in the Wye so I could use a test cap here as well when things are locked up overnight.

And here's one of the red star hens eating out of it. Virtually no waste = happiness.
I would love to know what you used for the "caps" and see that "expanding test plug" if you could post that. Thank you.

This is what I used in the bottom (expanding test cap) - It is also handy for the top since it has the little "handle" wingnut:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Oatey-1-1-2-in-Plastic-Mechanical-Test-Plug-33400/100342630#.UXJ2cUpwu4o

And here is what I call a plastic test cap - they work great and cost less but can be tricky to take off and on over and over again...

http://plumbing.hardwarestore.com/52-300-test-caps-and-plugs/dwv-spigot-test-cap-612264.aspx

Both of these are available at the big box home stores.

R-

Back
Top Bottom