Simulated Natural Nest Incubation~Experiment #1 So it begins....

I'm glad to hear you'll be trying again too Bee.

However, one thing that I cannot and will never recommend is assisting a chick out of the shell. I have done it in the past, and like NVcattle stated, each of them in turn has died, mine weren't from neurological disorders but rather because they did not have to struggle to get out of the egg, they had very weak legs and never could walk correctly. The process of struggling and turning inside the egg and working their little hearts out just to get out of that coffin is what gives them the best start, it makes them strong. It has taken me a lot of years to become this calloused and I think it is for the benefit of the birds under my care. This is not to say I don't monitor humidity and either increase or decrease as the need arises. If I have a chick pip but is slow in zipping, I will mist the eggs with warm water to increase humidity directly. Or if you can tell the egg is getting too dry, you can wrap it in a warm, wet paper towel, being sure to leave the pipped area uncovered.

I would, however, recommend you mark the air cell on the day you set them. It will give you a beginning point to measure and compare from. Then mark again at days 7, 14 and 18 (I believe is what is shown on the air cell development charts). It will help you monitor progress.

I know you didn't ask for my advice but I wanted to do what I can to help you anyway. It's only worth about 2 cents so...

However, one thing that I cannot and will never recommend is assisting a chick out of the shell.  I have done it in the past, and like NVcattle stated, each of them in turn has died, mine weren't from neurological disorders but rather because they did not have to struggle to get out of the egg, they had very weak legs and never could walk correctly.  The process of struggling and turning inside the egg and working their little hearts out just to get out of that coffin is what gives them the best start, it makes them strong.  It has taken me a lot of years to become this calloused and I think it is for the benefit of the birds under my care.  This is not to say I don't monitor humidity and either increase or decrease as the need arises.  If I have a chick pip but is slow in zipping, I will mist the eggs with warm water to increase humidity directly.  Or if you can tell the egg is getting too dry, you can wrap it in a warm, wet paper towel, being sure to leave the pipped area uncovered.

I would, however, recommend you mark the air cell on the day you set them.  It will give you a beginning point to measure and compare from.  Then mark again at days 7, 14 and 18 (I believe is what is shown on the air cell development charts).  It will help you monitor progress.

I know you didn't ask for my advice but I wanted to do what I can to help you anyway.  It's only worth about 2 cents so...

I do agree with this. I know it's hard, and maybe you can get away with pipping the egg for them and letting them breathe and see what they do from there, but helping them out can be bad. I do it in certain situations, like when a chick is shrinkwrapped or when it's just so big and healthy it's too big to turn around in the shell, but helping otherwise can be heartbreaking.

I helped a silkie chick out this winter that pipped but never started zipping. It wasn't shrinkwrapped and it wasn't too big for its shell but I went ahead and did it anyway. Turns out it couldn't zip because both its leg tendons were slipped at the hock, and no amount of putting them where they belonged got them to stay. The chick also wouldn't eat and I ended up having to cull after two days, which was heartbreaking. I had gotten so attached to the little thing trying to help it. Most times, if they can't make it out, there's a good reason.

However, one thing that I cannot and will never recommend is assisting a chick out of the shell. I have done it in the past, and like NVcattle stated, each of them in turn has died, mine weren't from neurological disorders but rather because they did not have to struggle to get out of the egg, they had very weak legs and never could walk correctly. The process of struggling and turning inside the egg and working their little hearts out just to get out of that coffin is what gives them the best start, it makes them strong. It has taken me a lot of years to become this calloused and I think it is for the benefit of the birds under my care. This is not to say I don't monitor humidity and either increase or decrease as the need arises. If I have a chick pip but is slow in zipping, I will mist the eggs with warm water to increase humidity directly. Or if you can tell the egg is getting too dry, you can wrap it in a warm, wet paper towel, being sure to leave the pipped area uncovered.

I would, however, recommend you mark the air cell on the day you set them. It will give you a beginning point to measure and compare from. Then mark again at days 7, 14 and 18 (I believe is what is shown on the air cell development charts). It will help you monitor progress.

I know you didn't ask for my advice but I wanted to do what I can to help you anyway. It's only worth about 2 cents so...
This is something I've always believed and read somewhere in the distant past. It is the struggle that makes them strong......kinda like our struggles that make us strong!! God's system works for both species, it seems.
big_smile.png

I agree that the best way for a chick to hatch is by itself but if it is unable to due to MY error (troubles with humidity, temperature ect) I can't stand by knowing that I may have the ability to give it a chance at life. I've assisted several chicks in hatching and besides a couple of them, the rest have turned out perfectly fine. My thing though, is that I always let them "kick out" themselves. I agree that they do need a little struggle to make them strong. I've never assisted them completely. This is what works me. Everyone's process are different. I guess it comes down to whether or not you feel comfortable assisting them. Once again congrats Bee, on your cute little hatchling. I know how it feels to lose a perfectly grown chick in shell. It just makes me get the sickest feeling, but I hope it doesn't discourage you in your attempts at incubating. It never gets easier but the GOOD results feel so rewarding. I'm sure you've already read that article on here about assisted hatching nut if you haven't I think you'll really appreciate it. It's a very good article. I don't know how to copy a link for it but if you just search "assisting a hatch" you'll find it. Best wishes!!

I agree that the best way for a chick to hatch is by itself but if it is unable to due to MY error (troubles with humidity, temperature ect) I can't stand by knowing that I may have the ability to give it a chance at life. I've assisted several chicks in hatching and besides a couple of them, the rest have turned out perfectly fine. My thing though, is that I always let them "kick out" themselves. I agree that they do need a little struggle to make them strong. I've never assisted them completely. This is what works me. Everyone's process are different. I guess it comes down to whether or not you feel comfortable assisting them. Once again congrats Bee, on your cute little hatchling. I know how it feels to lose a perfectly grown chick in shell. It just makes me get the sickest feeling, but I hope it doesn't discourage you in your attempts at incubating. It never gets easier but the GOOD results feel so rewarding. I'm sure you've already read that article on here about assisted hatching nut if you haven't I think you'll really appreciate it. It's a very good article. I don't know how to copy a link for it but if you just search "assisting a hatch" you'll find it. Best wishes!!
absolutely!

Hootie now has brooder mates~10 large, healthy and screamin' CX that make him look like a little raisin! All are ensconced in the outside brooder where the ambient temps are 38* and I'm not sure about the temps under the brooder pad except "nice and warm". They were all stuffed under there while peeping their fool heads off and it was like turning off a switch it got so quiet.

Waaaaaayyyyyy in the back...can you see him? Little Hootie has some family now to keep him warm and give him companionship...he was starting to imprint on me, just that quick! He'll have to get tough with this crowd pushing and shoving him around.

Hootie now has brooder mates~10 large, healthy and screamin' CX that make him look like a little raisin! All are ensconced in the outside brooder where the ambient temps are 38* and I'm not sure about the temps under the brooder pad except "nice and warm". They were all stuffed under there while peeping their fool heads off and it was like turning off a switch it got so quiet. Waaaaaayyyyyy in the back...can you see him? Little Hootie has some family now to keep him warm and give him companionship...he was starting to imprint on me, just that quick! He'll have to get tough with this crowd pushing and shoving him around.
Awwww!

Hootie now has brooder mates~10 large, healthy and screamin' CX that make him look like a little raisin! All are ensconced in the outside brooder where the ambient temps are 38* and I'm not sure about the temps under the brooder pad except "nice and warm". They were all stuffed under there while peeping their fool heads off and it was like turning off a switch it got so quiet. Waaaaaayyyyyy in the back...can you see him? Little Hootie has some family now to keep him warm and give him companionship...he was starting to imprint on me, just that quick! He'll have to get tough with this crowd pushing and shoving him around.
I LOVE this idea as a brooder. Not only is it probably better than a heat lamp in so many different ways, but its also just so darn cute. Your little set up is adorable. I think I'll be trying this next time I hatch out some chicks.

Hootie now has brooder mates~10 large, healthy and screamin' CX that make him look like a little raisin! All are ensconced in the outside brooder where the ambient temps are 38* and I'm not sure about the temps under the brooder pad except "nice and warm". They were all stuffed under there while peeping their fool heads off and it was like turning off a switch it got so quiet.

Waaaaaayyyyyy in the back...can you see him? Little Hootie has some family now to keep him warm and give him companionship...he was starting to imprint on me, just that quick! He'll have to get tough with this crowd pushing and shoving him around.

What a cute sight BF......Hootie will always be special to you, you watch!
love.gif

Back
Top Bottom