Sitting with a cup of coffee. (coffee lovers)

We wear the squirrel skins silly!

And potatoes grow wonderfully.

And, even though I do not want to eat squirrel kabob, I am happy to send some rodents down south!
big_smile.png

Don't send them down this far!!! We have more than we need/want!!!

Thursdays used to be 'potluck' days at work. I once brought in sauerbraten squirrel and dumplings. One country girl from NC knew what we were eating. The others had not a clue, and then I informed them that they had just eaten squirrel.
lau.gif
I was banned from the potluck club - no sense of humor.

Sounds like something my dad would do. lol

I would be thrilled to learn that if I had found it tasty. If not, I would just consider you a bad squirrel cook. I'm still thinking of growing guinea pigs for meat one day. But maybe rabbits would be tastier.

Alligator's good too.
wink.png

hehehe
gig.gif

oh-no!
You frightened the bunny lady!

Squirrels drive me nuts. I have no issues eating them. I rather liked them ( to eat ) as a child.But that was before I had parasitology and now I'm really past it.

But if we had red squirrels, no. I could not eat any Redwall creature.

However, Guinea pigs have personality too. I would have my home over run with cute little Guinea pigs. They'd have bows in their hair, and collars...names.
I will stick to fish and meat chickens.

Catfish lack that cuteness thing and meat birds are on borrowed time anyway.
I am pretty sure we could off them. And when I say 'we' I mean my husband.

I've eaten squirrel (and rabbit, sorry BunnyLady) and they both taste alright, but knowing that they're rodents, I wouldn't want to eat them unless I really had to. I'm pretty glad I don't have to.
Guinea pigs...not so much.
I don't care for Catfish. I do my own "offing" with my chickens; he's been good about doing it with the dogs as needed.

Guinea pigs are supposed to be perfect to raise for meat since one animal = one portion. So great if you have no refrigerator.

Never tried it though. I do like bunny though!
droolin.gif
That explains why they were popular in 19th century So America

Bunnies make a nice meal for two. Lovely with a potato-black salsify-pecorino casserole.

Could you describe that side dish you mentioned?

Or cream, I LOVE meat with CREAM SAUCE! Double
droolin.gif
!!!

Yes, meat and dairy fat!
droolin.gif
Anything and dairy fat!!!
droolin.gif
droolin.gif
Meat and almost anything!
droolin.gif
Of course, DH is a wonderful cook!!! I'm rather spoiled and about 25# overweight...
hide.gif

Next time you have a venison or reindeer filé, quickly sauté it in butter to give it color, and throw it in a 110C oven for about 20 minutes. Then pour cream and a bit of sweet mustard in the pan you used, and bring it to a boil to make a sauce. Serve with potatoes and lingonberry.

I try to label all my recipes with Cooking and Carpentry with Felix, so you can search the forums with that to see some more.

Ummm!

Update on Snoodle:
She seems to be feeling a little bit better slowly. I tried using petroleum jelly, corn oil enemas, and external palpitation/pressure. I helped her pass some poo, but I couldn't get out whatever the smaller-than-an-egg lump is in her abdomen.
DH was doing some research on the intro-web and discovered that it might be Marek's (although, being a hatchery chicken, she should have been vaccinated against that), or it could be vitamin deficiency (but that shouldn't be, b/c she's been free ranging and had access to game flock crumbles and good scratch grains), but...
She's not giving up, so I'm not either.
I'm not going to make her exist in a painful and entirely dependent state; if she simply didn't have use of her legs, and was willing to learn to live without them (which she seems more than willing to do), then I would just have a handicapped chicken. If it were something temporary that's causing her pain, I'd help her be as comfortable as possible until it's over.
Since there seems to be an internal problem that is compromising her quality of life, I'm daily having to determine in what circumstances I feel like she needs to be culled (put out of her misery/pain).
Oh, I hate this.
If she's eggbound, then she might have prolapsed vent even if she does eventually pass the egg.
th.gif

Well, good night. I'm worn out and I have laundry to hang.

I've eaten squirrel (and rabbit, sorry BunnyLady) and they both taste alright, but knowing that they're rodents, I wouldn't want to eat them unless I really had to. I'm pretty glad I don't have to.
Who you calling a rat?!!?!
rant.gif

I'll have you know that rabbits are Lagomorphs, not rodents. Humph! *stalks off*

Being from the south there's not much I haven't ate. But I don't believe I can eat guinea pigs. To much like really furry rats.

Love squirrel and rabbit. Sorry bunny lady I have had pet rabbits that I didn't eat to.

Tea chick I'm happy that the kids are doing better.

Alaskan how many squirrels to make a jacket? Lol. ;)

@TeaChick As requested, another segment of Cooking and Carpentry with Felix.

This is one of my girlfriend's mother's recipes, and I've never made this myself, but from memory and judging by how she usually makes things, here goes:

Potato-black salsify-Pecorino casserole

~1kg potatoes
100-200g black salsify (I'm not sure about the amount here, but about one regular sized salsify)
100g Pecorino cheese

1-2 liters of milk (full fat, don't really know how much you need, but enough to cover dish while cooking it)
1-2 dl cream
salt
pepper

Slice the potatoes and chop the salsify, throw them in a pot, and cover with milk. Boil until the potatoes are almost cooked through. Pour away the milk, and transfer the cooked vegetables into an oven pan. Grate the pecorino, and mix it into the vegetables. Season with salt and pepper. Pour on a bit of cream, and put it in the oven (maybe 175 deg C), and let it cook for about 30 minutes, adding cream every once in a while to keep it moist. You could probably skip the cream and use the milk that was poured away from the veggies earlier for a slightly healthier version. I don't think it would affect the taste that much.

@TeaChick I've never actually eaten any reptiles. Does it really taste like chicken? I wouldn't believe so. Now shark, that I've eaten. Tastes like p*ss. Which isn't surprising since they urinate through their skin.

I think that in Ecuador they still eat millions of Guinea Pigs annually.

@Alaskan Could you send one of those squirrel skin jackets my way too? Sounds nice and warm.

Don't send them down this far!!!  We have more than we need/want!!!

Sounds like something my dad would do. lol

Alligator's good too. ;)

hehehe :gig

I've eaten squirrel (and rabbit, sorry BunnyLady) and they both taste alright, but knowing that they're rodents, I wouldn't want to eat them unless I really had to.  I'm pretty glad I don't have to.
I don't care for Catfish.  I do my own "offing" with my chickens; he's been good about doing it with the dogs as needed.

That explains why they were popular in 19th century So America

Could you describe that side dish you mentioned?
rabbits are not rodents. They are lagomorphs. They chew the cud. They also eat different stuff (natural diets, but nowadays it seems the feed companies want us to believe EVERY animal on Earth should live off grains).

@TeaChick
 I've never actually eaten any reptiles. Does it really taste like chicken? I wouldn't believe so. Now shark, that I've eaten. Tastes like p*ss. Which isn't surprising since they urinate through their skin.

I think that in Ecuador they still eat millions of Guinea Pigs annually.

@Alaskan
 Could you send one of those squirrel skin jackets my way too? Sounds nice and warm.
why wouldn't they taste the same? They are very similar in their composition...scales and all that lol.
I think things that have the same ancestors probably taste similar to eachother.

Wait...cannibals say people taste like pork!

Back
Top Bottom