Sitting with a cup of coffee. (coffee lovers)

Alaskan, did you have some sort of heaters in your waterers? I think we discussed this earlier, but I forget.

I use a stock tank deicer. I found one that is OK on plastic and is OK if it runs dry (is no longer submerged). I put it in a black rubber feed pan (used for horses).

Nothing else works for me because my electric goes out so much. That stick tank deicer can thaw itself out of a solid block of ice pretty quickly.

Never put the waterer in the coop area, it will increase your humidity too much and so increase the frostbite risk.

When it is warm here, I just have the kids take out water 3x a day and save on electric. The chickens will peck through a thin ice layer to get water. They aren't very strong though. When the water freezes solid in an hour, then I switch to the deicer.

You do have wide perches, right? I have found that it is NOT just if the belly feathers cover the toes, it is if the toes bend. The toes must be flat, bending the toes reduces circulation, and so increases frostbite.

@3goodeggs
:sick of course, yesterday I ate a hotdog after it rolled onto a public picnic table.

I have a nipple waterer in the coop, it won't put out that much moisture. There has been zero leakage so far. The roosts are round, I'm going to switch them out to slightly bigger ones soon though. I still prefer the round ones for some reason, but maybe I'll go with a flat 2x4. Four inches seems sort of wide though.

I have a nipple waterer in the coop, it won't put out that much moisture. There has been zero leakage so far. The roosts are round, I'm going to switch them out to slightly bigger ones soon though. I still prefer the round ones for some reason, but maybe I'll go with a flat 2x4. Four inches seems sort of wide though.

I have no idea how people get those things to work in cold temps. :confused: I battle all winter trying to make sure that no pipes freeze (under houses, between houses, in fully insulated and heated pump houses, in the walls of my house :rolleyes: )

Remember that a 2x4 isn't actually 4 inches :D .... But, it is vital that those chicken feet are flat... Trust me on that one. A little frostbite on combs or wattles is not a big deal, but you do NOT want any frostbite on the feet. :sick (Of course, I say that, and I haven't tried a round perch...I am not sure how that would effect the circulation verses flat feet. :confused: )

I would guess you get colder than I do. I still haven't looking up your town... What Latitude are you at? I am pretty far South, Lat. 59! :lol:

:frow Checking in. Nice pics all!

Welcome to the new ones!

Happy belated Birthday to Hagar's chicken partner!!!

And glad to see you could do an " end around" the posting problems @ocap2nd! Would hate to lose you to the cyber space "war".

I'm at my DD helping her with some room rearranging and organizing. Almost 2 hours from home, between Ann Arbor and Detroit. And my brakes go out. Luckily I didn't have an accident though. Supposed to have a meeting tomorrow at work. But vehicle won't be done until Thursday. I got coverage for work but now if I could only get coverage for the $1600+ repair bill. :hit
Hmmmm.....Maybe I shouldn't 'Brake for Chickens'. I think I'll just 'Break for Chickens' from now on.;)

And on the chicken run front, the run is mostly done. I got a few temporary fixes to finish it to come up here but plan on the permanent job when I get back. Bad news...my girls aren't happy being locked up. Except for the silkies who have gone broody!:/ I gave them extra food and water to last through tonight but DSO will have to feed and water tonight and tomorrow night. Good thing he likes me because he really isn't into my chickens. :D

I set up a horizontal nipple waterer for the girls but I have only seen 1 white rock use it. Out of 24. :he
so I have 4 other waterers out for them.

My back is better. I tried 4 advil but they didn't touch it. So I tried aleve. 2 took the edge off but 4 worked better. And since I used a knee brace for my knee and that helped before I tried a "back brace" of sorts. Actually a " tummy control foundation garment" you know the thing I'm talking about. ( They used to be called girdles :lau) Actually at one point I was rolling on the floor just not laughing too much. :rolleyes: Anyway a couple of days of 3 or 4 aleve 3x a day and my "back brace" and I'm almost as good as new!

My DD has "Choc full of Nuts" coffee. I had never tried it before. It's not bad. Not bitter and pleasantly flavorful. I am pleasantly surprised. :)

Have a wonderful evening all and great rest of the week!

:frow Checking in. Nice pics all!

Welcome to the new ones!

Happy belated Birthday to Hagar's chicken partner!!!

And glad to see you could do an " end around" the posting problems @ocap2nd! Would hate to lose you to the cyber space "war".

I'm at my DD helping her with some room rearranging and organizing. Almost 2 hours from home, between Ann Arbor and Detroit. And my brakes go out. Luckily I didn't have an accident though. Supposed to have a meeting tomorrow at work. But vehicle won't be done until Thursday. I got coverage for work but now if I could only get coverage for the $1600+ repair bill. :hit
Hmmmm.....Maybe I shouldn't 'Brake for Chickens'. I think I'll just 'Break for Chickens' from now on.;)

And on the chicken run front, the run is mostly done. I got a few temporary fixes to finish it to come up here but plan on the permanent job when I get back. Bad news...my girls aren't happy being locked up. Except for the silkies who have gone broody!:/ I gave them extra food and water to last through tonight but DSO will have to feed and water tonight and tomorrow night. Good thing he likes me because he really isn't into my chickens. :D

I set up a horizontal nipple waterer for the girls but I have only seen 1 white rock use it. Out of 24. :he
so I have 4 other waterers out for them.

My back is better. I tried 4 advil but they didn't touch it. So I tried aleve. 2 took the edge off but 4 worked better. And since I used a knee brace for my knee and that helped before I tried a "back brace" of sorts. Actually a " tummy control foundation garment" you know the thing I'm talking about. ( They used to be called girdles :lau) Actually at one point I was rolling on the floor just not laughing too much. :rolleyes: Anyway a couple of days of 3 or 4 aleve 3x a day and my "back brace" and I'm almost as good as new!

My DD has "Choc full of Nuts" coffee. I had never tried it before. It's not bad. Not bitter and pleasantly flavorful. I am pleasantly surprised. :)

Have a wonderful evening all and great rest of the week!
if one chicken has used it, the others will catch on. The secret to getting them all converted is to take away all (ALL) other watering choices and force them to use the nipple system. Unless you have some with serious beak deformities, then they need alternative watering options.

Last edited by a moderator:
Quote: You win!
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom