Sitting with a cup of coffee. (coffee lovers)

Hope everyone's day has been rocking. My one day off this week and I spent it running 2 teens around to their jobs, took the 3 yr old in for his yearly check-up (read that it's been over 2 years since he was last in or got a Vax), picked up a kid, sat in the parking lot listening to the 6 yr old cry about how she's sweating and dying in over cast misting 67 degree weather. Headed to the school and met up with some fellow crossfitters and did a workout while the kids played. During said workout I was eaten alive by mosquitos, a bee flew in my mouth, poked a contact out during pushups and a week, and fell off the swings thanks to my sweaty tush and silky type running shorts. Now I'm home, showered, collected eggs, pretending to ignore the laundry that my feet are kicked up on while indulging in mashed sweet taters and cringing to that horrible Disney Descendant flick the little kids are in love with.

Did you sleep well after having coffee so late?

Home grown chicken eggs are much better tasting that store bought... But not a strong aquired taste...unless you are feeding your chickens buckets of salmon every day. ;)

Oh I slept great after! In college coffee had an effect on me, now it seems to only have an effect if I switch coffee. But we have this coffee maker place around the corner that makes their own and I'm pretty hooked! Check out their website if ya ever feel like ordering coffee beans! Cactus Coffee, here in Aberdeen NC.

Should I be feeding the chickens fish with their food? I love salmon, but I don't want to taste it in my breakfast eggs lol!! But if feeding them fish here an there helps them to lay then we're talking!! Haha

Oh I slept great after! In college coffee had an effect on me, now it seems to only have an effect if I switch coffee. But we have this coffee maker place around the corner that makes their own and I'm pretty hooked! Check out their website if ya ever feel like ordering coffee beans! Cactus Coffee, here in Aberdeen NC.

Should I be feeding the chickens fish with their food? I love salmon, but I don't want to taste it in my breakfast eggs lol!! But if feeding them fish here an there helps them to lay then we're talking!! Haha
fishmeal is an alternative to soy in some non soy feeds. Peas are used in others.

High omega 3 additives will make the eggs taste fishy--like flax seed meal. It takes a lot of it though and if you feed them non soy with fishmeal in it, you will not give them too much.

You would be better off giving them some kale every day along with some black oil sunflower seeds. Make sure that your treats are not more than about 10% of their feed though.

Last edited:
The Alaskans often talk about how much fish you need to feed the chickens before you can taste it in the eggs... The consensus is unless you are very sensitive to fish taste, you have to feed the birds LOTS, as in buckets every single day before you can taste it in the eggs.

I'm guessing Alaskans have a higher tolerance to fishy taste than say.... someone living in Kansas. Different diets.. different tastes. Maybe y'all could market it as chicken caviar?
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Yep true.... Cost of living up here is horrific...... so lots of people do subsistence hunting/gathering which almost always includes salmon fishing (easiest to catch with the least amount of money outlay, compared to halibut the other big staple).

As a result people get swamped with fish carcasses and fish guts, and fish eggs... Etc. Lots goes into compost heaps to help the gardens (but then you need an outside guard dog or electric to keep the bears out), or goes to the chickens (they eat it up fast... Nothing left to attract the bears), and some gets left out for the giant winged rats.

Oh, some people turn the eggs into caviar or fish bait...

I had heard somewhere that the RSL's had a propensity to pass along the fish taste, which became problematic for egg factories. Cannot attest to the theory, though, as my RSL's get mackerel and their eggs taste like, well, eggs.

I had heard somewhere that the RSL's had a propensity to pass along the fish taste, which became problematic for egg factories. Cannot attest to the theory, though, as my RSL's get mackerel and their eggs taste like, well, eggs.

If they were commercial, then it would not be the same as yours. There are a lot of red sexlinks, ie:

Golden Comets
ISA browns
Red Shaver
Production Reds

The Commercial red sexlinks, for egg laying batteries, are a closely guarded secret--they are usually at least 4 way crosses too.

Most likely the person or persons having eggs taste like fish by feeding them fish meal gave them way too much of it. Garlic is supposed to flavor the eggs too, but I would not know about that since onions are on the list of bad things for chickens and garlic is similar to onions.

Quote:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom