Size of Breeding Pens

Big Tom

Chirping
Nov 17, 2015
Western Pennsylvania
When designing a breeding pen do you still use the 4 square feet per bird or does the square footage need to increase. These pens would be for large breed birds (Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Australorps). I'm thinking about 48 square feet for 10 hens and a rooster. What do you think?

When designing a breeding pen do you still use the 4 square feet per bird or does the square footage need to increase. These pens would be for large breed birds (Barred Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, Australorps). I'm thinking about 48 square feet for 10 hens and a rooster. What do you think?
Will they just be pens...or coops and runs?
How long will you keep the groups in the pens?
The 4/10 rule of thumb is a bare minimum IMO.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2020-1-7_8-10-41.png

Will they just be pens...or coops and runs?
How long will you keep the groups in the pens?
The 4/10 rule of thumb is a bare minimum IMO.

Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
View attachment 1996385

I'm not sure how long I will keep them in breeding pens. I guess as long as I want to keep hatching eggs from them. I think at this time that would be until some time in the spring.

I'm in Western Pennsylvania. They will not have a run but will be turned out every third day. I'm planning on 3 breeding pens, so I will alternate days the different pens of birds will go out.

Thanks for the info on how to update my profile!

I'm planning on 3 breeding pens, so I will alternate days the different pens of birds will go out.
So the 'pens' are actually coops, completely enclosed to be secure from weather and predators?

If they are going to be confined 24/7 except for ranging every few days, you'll want to make them larger than the typical coop.

Back
Top Bottom