Sizzle sexing Boy or girl????

Thank you for answering, ashtree! I guess my family and I will figure out what to do next, it's the crowing that we're most worried about...
But thank you once again!

I hear Silkie and Sizzle roos don't crow as loud or as often...hahaha...i sure hope so because i'm pretty sure both my Sizzle and Silkie are boys..... Here's the pictures i took yesterday of my Sizzles comb.... so unless Sizzles have extra large comb on pullets....
I'm thinking this is a boy

Could i be wrong? He's only 4 months old and not aggressive...very sweet. I hope i can keep both males....my neighbors are going to just love me!!!

PS...i don't see a saddle on him, but not sure what it would look like with a splash?????

Last edited:
Hmmm, I looked up Silkie roosters, and that sure looks like one...
Maybe you should google it too and have a look for yourself? You know your chicken better than I do, after all!
Good luck! Figuring out a chicken's gender can be very hard to do.

@LittleRedCoop53 I agree your frizzled silkie most definitely looks like a rooster, he's probably just not the dominant one out there. I have a sizzle roo I'm sadly rehoming today. Im not 100% but don't want to take any chances. But its so darn sad. Silkies and sizzles are very sweet no matter the gender. I will add my suspected boy doesn't have half the comb yours does. Im sorry.

6-8 weeks old and a comb like that! That's a roo!

Oh, wait, I just spoke with the original breeder, and she says we were told the wrong age (We did think they looked a little too big for 6-8 weeks old)! They are actually 10 weeks old (about 2 and a half months old) and all of their possible mothers (they weren't totally sure which one was the mom) have the combs and waddles of roosters (HUGE combs and waddles that were bright red)!
So with this new information, do you still think Mop is a boy? (sorry for all of the sudden changes in the information)

Oh, wait, I just spoke with the original breeder, and she says we were told the wrong age (We did think they looked a little too big for 6-8 weeks old)! They are actually 10 weeks old (about 2 and a half months old) and all of their possible mothers (they weren't totally sure which one was the mom) have the combs and waddles of roosters (HUGE combs and waddles that were bright red)!
So with this new information, do you still think Mop is a boy? (sorry for all of the sudden changes in the information)

Could you try to get some more pictures? Full body pic and comb and close up profile would be helpful. Also does it seem to stand tall and or chest bump more often than not? I notice my cockerels have a very cockerel like behavior from an early age. (Except for 1 d'uccle that just wasn't dominant at all)

Could you try to get some more pictures? Full body pic and comb and close up profile would be helpful. Also does it seem to stand tall and or chest bump more often than not? I notice my cockerels have a very cockerel like behavior from an early age. (Except for 1 d'uccle that just wasn't dominant at all)

Sorry if there are any typos, I'm on my phone.
Here are some more pictures:

They are still pretty little, so we keep them inside. They every once in a while chest bump, but the smaller one (Dusty Odette) chest bumps right back. Mop does stand tall every once in a while, but that's usually only when one of our cats comes near their brooder. They seem to be pretty equal in their pecking order, but Mop is just a tiny bit more dominant, or so it seems at the moment. They both take naps, peck their surrounding brooder environment, eat, and drink more often than they stand tall or chest bump.

Sorry if there are any typos, I'm on my phone.
Here are some more pictures:

They are still pretty little, so we keep them inside. They every once in a while chest bump, but the smaller one (Dusty Odette) chest bumps right back. Mop does stand tall every once in a while, but that's usually only when one of our cats comes near their brooder. They seem to be pretty equal in their pecking order, but Mop is just a tiny bit more dominant, or so it seems at the moment. They both take naps, peck their surrounding brooder environment, eat, and drink more often than they stand tall or chest bump.
I really think you have a cockerel.
sad.png
Im so sorry to say that, but I just can't see how a comb that large at 10 weeks could be a pullet. Do you have others from the breeder? Maybe having some others around the same age to compare this one to would help? Even a frizzle cochin at this age with a comb like that would be a cockerel.
Also, if you want to, I think this one looks fully feathered so could probably handle being outside now. I know I get sick of cleaning out those cages all the time!

I really think you have a cockerel. :(  Im so sorry to say that, but I just can't see how a comb that large at 10 weeks could be a pullet. Do you have others from the breeder? Maybe having some others around the same age to compare this one to would help? Even a frizzle cochin at this age with a comb like that would be a cockerel. 
Also, if you want to, I think this one looks fully feathered so could probably handle being outside now. I know I get sick of cleaning out those cages all the time! 

Thank you so much for your help! We are thinking that we will be able to keep Mop, as we read that Sizzles tend to be quieter than other breeds.
Yes, the one in Mop's cage is the one we received with him/ her (Dusty Odette), and the breeder says they are the same age.

We are waiting a little while to put them outside as we noticed in places, such as under their wings and on the bases of their necks (and on the top of Dusty Odette's head and her beard), that they are still growing in feathers. Also, we have 4 other rather large chickens (in my profile picture), who, while still being very docile, are about 5 times bigger than Mop and Dusty Odette. So to avoid the most conflict as possible, we are waiting until they get a little larger (even though we know they will sill be really small in comparison).

Thank you so much for all your help so far!

I hear Silkie and Sizzle roos don't crow as loud or as often...hahaha...i sure hope so because i'm pretty sure both my Sizzle and Silkie are boys..... Here's the pictures i took yesterday of my Sizzles comb.... so unless Sizzles have extra large comb on pullets....
I'm thinking this is a boy

Could i be wrong? He's only 4 months old and not aggressive...very sweet. I hope i can keep both males....my neighbors are going to just love me!!!

PS...i don't see a saddle on him, but not sure what it would look like with a splash?????

UPDATE: Both my Frizzle silkie and Pure silkie are Roosters(both splash)
smile.png
. You should see the comb on my Frizzle...it's huge, and hangs down one side of his beak... kinda looks like a Turkey
hmm.png
... I'm breeding both of them to my pure silkie hens(one all white and one all black) and i've already hatched 7 babies(4 dark grey with a little black and 3 white)...they are sooooo cute! I just set 7 more eggs last night in honer of the full moon eclipse
wee.gif
hahaha~

Back
Top Bottom