Skin condition on a Silkie?

Kariann

Chirping
Jul 5, 2021
Tennessee
Hi!
I recently made a mistake by using fine shavings and adding a dust bath in my brooder. This caused dust and irritated their respiratory systems. I changed the bedding and removed the dust bath as soon as I noticed a few of the chicks sneezing (at first, I thought there was a respiratory illness and I panicked and was isolating birds and sanitizing their brooder) and that resolved the concern almost instantly.

Two chicks ( a 4 week old jersey giant and a 1 month old-ish silkie (I do not know the sex.)) also had an irritated eye. Between the VetRx and the antibiotic ointment, all but one chick appear perfectly healthy.
The silkie is not sneezing, but its eye is still yucky.
And what is this about its back (see photo)? I'm new to silkies, and none of the other chicks (a variety of breeds) appear to have lost feathers, and no one has witnessed this chick being picked on.

What is wrong and how do I help this little one feel better?

Attachments

• 20210914_191421.jpg
    20210914_191421.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20210914_191421.jpg
    20210914_191421.jpg
    397.7 KB · Views: 3
I think this thread got lost in the shuffle. I don't have experience with this, but me posting should bump it up.
How is your silkie doing now?

Silkie looks better, I started getting the little flock outside more and providing dirt baths with DE. Thank you for looking out for me, buried posts are always a bummer!

Back
Top Bottom