skunks

Chickemee

Songster
12 Years
Jul 30, 2007
Texas
On Sunday and Monday 2 of my chickens got eaten by a skunk. We caught the female but the male is still out there. My chickens sleep in my grandpa's wood workshop now but I think the skunks hole is right by the workshop. WE caught the first 1 in a cat trap but the second im afraid might some how still get to my chickens. Is there another way to catch it?

I caught quite a few skunks one summer; I used a wooden trap that sprung the door closed when the skunk tugged on the bait. I used raw bacon which I had heated up in the microwave about 20 seconds. Still raw, but the bacon odor was more potent.
smile.png

The Humane Society where I took the skunks were amazed at how many I caught. I was just thankful!

Carla

I catch skunks in a skunk trap, which is a live animal trap that is enclosed on all sides to keep the skunk from spraying you. You can use many things for bait. I use cheese often, it's less apt to attract cats. Put most of the bait in the back of the trap, and sprinkle a little in the front. Do it on a dry night, skunks don't come around on rainy nights I've found.

I then set the trap behind the tailpipe of my car, attach a plastic garbage bag, tying it to the tailpipe and making a hole to stretch it over the front of the trap. Then, turn on the engine and the skunk falls asleep and dies.

I found the skunk trap online years ago. I've killed over 100 of these vermin.

Last edited:
I lost a silkie 3 nights ago to a skunk, and then a polish (my favorite!) 2 nights ago to the same awful end. We actually watched him drag the chicken (we ran as soon as we heard the noise!) out to our veggie garden, and wow was that skunk mad. There was nothing we could do! He finally left after all our yelling and throwing of things but it was too late. So now working on plans to further 'skunk proof' the coop. I really want to set a trap, as we are fairly convinced he lives under my shed, which has the coop on the opposite side.

Back
Top Bottom