Sleepy Chicken - Runny Poops - No Eggs - Confused About Symptoms

WFHCM

Hatching
Aug 27, 2020
Hi all, I've been lurking and reading through existing posts all day for some type of guidance but think it might just be better to make my own post that addressed our girl's specific symptoms. Apologies in advance for a lengthy post.

She is a Golden Comet - age and health history unknown. She was presumably dumped (no one ever responded to 'found chicken' posts) and has only been with us for 12 days (and those 12 days have been a rollercoaster).

Initially, she was very curious and happy to free-range, dust bathe, and scratch around the yard, and had a decent appetite. She wasn't terribly interested in her pellets at first but we got a mash for her and added water which seemed to increase her interest. She did, however, enjoy cucumber, lettuce, musk melon, tomatoes, some grapes, apple, blackberries, and bits of kale - everything from our garden except the grapes and apple which were organic. She drinks quite a bit of water throughout the day as well.

She laid four eggs the week we rescued her and they were all normal, well-formed, etc. and pretty evenly spaced out. Then, last Friday, three days before her first scheduled vet visit, we noticed she was acting the exact opposite of her normal, lively, curious self. Instead of exploring and scratching and dustbathing, she would sit in one spot with her butt lifted in the air and was clearly in pain - not interested in any food and only drinking small amounts. We gave her a warm epsom salt bath and got her to pass an egg that had not fully formed and still had a little 'tail' full attached to it. She slept on the floor that night rather than her perch. The next morning we took her in on an emergency visit to the vet. She had been feeling much better and was eating and drinking more. At the vet, she passed a little pink glob of what looked like it could've been the beginnings of a lash egg. She was otherwise pooping fine - some more watery than others, and still eating.

The vet ran a fecal and saw no evidence of worms or parasites but did find Campylobacter. Her crop was a bit doughy as well and she is a little underweight. She has some minor balance/steadiness issues due to weak leg muscles. Her feathers are not too healthy-looking and she has existing patches of missing feathers from a particularly aggressive rooster (wings and back of the head). The vet (an amazing board-certified avian vet) was not too concerned with her overall state, assuring us improvements could be made, and sent us home with some meds and instructions on high protein food and added calcium from oyster shells to help get her back on track. She is getting 1.4 mL of Rimadyl (0.7 mL 2x daily), 0.7 mL Cisapride (0.35 mL 2x daily) and one tablet of Clavamox (1/2 tab 2x daily) each day. After day 1 she learned that I was hiding Clavamox in her favorite treats so I've taken to crushing them, adding water, and syringe administering them with the other meds. The afternoon following the vet visit she was fine.

The next day, though - same thing with the lethargy, lack of interest in food, acting painful, butt in the air. Gave her another epsom salt bath and let her be. Eventually she passed another 'egg' just like the last one. It was later in the day so in the hour or so before sunset she ate some mash and some oyster shell and drank some water. Again, she opted to sleep on the floor instead of her roost. In the morning we found another little pink blob and some runnier poops in the coop and she was doing great again. She had a really great day and spent the whole day outside with us while we worked on building her outside run. She was back to sleeping on her roost. Yesterday it rained all morning so she stayed indoors and I kept an eye on her on the camera (yes, we got a camera for our chicken). She didn't wander around too much but ate and drank a bit - mostly hung out on the floor in the corner. When the rain cleared I let her out with me and she wandered a bit but mostly she napped under our patio table. She would get up and scratch around a bit every once in a while and was alert. Ate a little, drank a little. Her poops were a bit waterier than normal, but they weren't only liquid and she had been drinking a lot (plus the water in her food, which is new and I figured would account for softer poops). Last night she slept on her roost and, in the morning, I watched her get down, stretch her wings, and get something to eat and drink.

After her morning meds, she only picked a bit at a tomato and apple slice, but did eat a bit and drink some water. I let her out, and same thing as yesterday - she will wander a bit and peck around but then either finds a dustbathing hole she'd made and sleep in it, or she'd come sleep near my feet under the patio table. I wouldn't call her lethargic, just sleepy - she is alert and doesn't seem 'out of it' or sickly, just sleepy. She will occasionally opt to sit in the sun and stretch out a leg or wing for a bit, then return to the shade of the table. She isn't really interested in food, even her favorite treats, but she will intermittently peck at her food dish, which I moved outside near her, and will get up and drink water every once in awhile. However, I am growing a bit more concerned about her poops and how runny they are. No blood or sign of anything significantly abnormal, but they're mostly white and green liquid, even the green fecal content isn't fully formed (sorry I should've taken a photo) and she just released some that is mostly white liquid. Her vent has been clean/clear and healthy looking and there is no matting of poops around the vent/rear feathers. Her crop hasn't felt particularly full the past couple of days, but it isn't empty, it isn't hard, and it isn't doughy like it had been. She has not laid an egg since passing the second soft-shelled one on Sunday. It is rather hot today - low to mid 90s - but it was not as hot yesterday, so I am not sure I should attribute anything to the heat alone.

I just added some nutritional yeast to her food and ordered some Corid to add to her water just in case. I'm going to pick up some electrolytes today as well (likely Pedialyte as all the TSC's around us are out of the electrolyte packages) and I am considering making an electrolyte, nutritional yeast, egg yolk type slurry to give her later today (via syringe if need be).

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Is there something else I should be looking for/at that I might have missed? I've been around and helped to care for chickens previously but haven't ever personally cared for one with any significant health issues and I am just feeling lost and frustrated and, honestly, a little overwhelmed.

Hi there. I’m sorry this is happening to your new addition :(

I’m not sure if you have others in your flock, but if you do, I’d isolate her separately from your other chickens for at least 1 month. It’s for prevention of diseases and it’s good biosecurity practice as well. If she’s the only chicken, disregard my comment.

As to the diagnosis, I’m glad you have an avian vet available! Most do not. She seems like she’s on a lot of meds, so that may be bogging down her system. If you decide to add Corid to the water for potential cocci, you don’t want to give her anything with thiamine in it, the thiamine will cancel out the effects of the Corid. The electrolytes and/or supplements may have thiamine in them, so read labels, including those for food too!

It sounds like she needs some kind of extra nutrition (electrolytes in the water or syringe dose her with Nutri-Drench) since she’s not eating that much. Since she also had the starts of a latch egg, you could also try dosing her with some liquid calcium or crushed up Tums to help prevent that, in addition to the oyster shell. You also want to provide some grit for her, it will help break down the food in her crop. I’d also check for mites/lice around the vent, under her wings, on her neck, they can literally suck the life out of a chicken.

Hope that helps, how is she doing today?Also know that you’re doing the best you can and that’s so kind of you to rescue her. Chickens have so much personality, I think you’ll enjoy having her as part of your family.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond, I appreciate the suggestions. I did not know to look out for thiamine with Corid, so I will double-check everything.

I got some extra grit for her as I did not feel much in her crop and wonder if she may be reluctant to eat because of how she's feeling if she isn't digesting much. She's been eating a bit more this afternoon/evening but still not a significant amount. She actually started having some balance trouble this afternoon so I gave the vet a call. I'm taking her in tomorrow to make sure nothing worse than low nutrients is to blame.

For now, she's had her evening meds, some nutritional yeast, and a bit of her food and is perched on her roost, so I hope these are all good signs. Will check back in tomorrow and let you know what I find out.

She is our only hen right now but once we have her health on track we'd love to get her some friends as we have space for about 4-6 girls. You are so right - chickens are such special little feathered people, I love them and am so glad she is part of our family. I just want to make sure I'm doing the best for her, as you said. Thank you again! :)

Thank you so much for taking the time to read and respond, I appreciate the suggestions. I did not know to look out for thiamine with Corid, so I will double-check everything.

I got some extra grit for her as I did not feel much in her crop and wonder if she may be reluctant to eat because of how she's feeling if she isn't digesting much. She's been eating a bit more this afternoon/evening but still not a significant amount. She actually started having some balance trouble this afternoon so I gave the vet a call. I'm taking her in tomorrow to make sure nothing worse than low nutrients is to blame.

For now, she's had her evening meds, some nutritional yeast, and a bit of her food and is perched on her roost, so I hope these are all good signs. Will check back in tomorrow and let you know what I find out.

She is our only hen right now but once we have her health on track we'd love to get her some friends as we have space for about 4-6 girls. You are so right - chickens are such special little feathered people, I love them and am so glad she is part of our family. I just want to make sure I'm doing the best for her, as you said. Thank you again! :)
You’re welcome :)I frequently post long messages on these forums so I try to respond to those that have no replies or are very long.

Yes, the vet will hopefully be able to help you:flShe’s adjusting a lot of things right now, so I think she may be overloaded with meds and new sights/smells/etc. Is there also a possibly that when she is out free ranging, that she could be eating something she isn’t supposed to? My chickens love to go into our garage and eat the paint flecks off of the bottom of the walls:rolleyes:

I forgot to ask what kind of feed you are giving her? I prefer Purina Flock Raider crumbles (found at TSC or other feed stores) for my mixed age flock of 10 chickens. If she is still reluctant to eat, you could also try feeding her a scrambled egg, canned tuna, wet mash of her food or baby bird food, and see if she will eat that to get some nutrition in her. I’d also try to get some liquids in her with her food as well if you can!

Let us know how the vet appt goes tomorrow and keep monitoring her vent area, crop, and poop. Fingers crossed for a successful day tomorrow!

You’re welcome :)I frequently post long messages on these forums so I try to respond to those that have no replies or are very long.

Yes, the vet will hopefully be able to help you:flShe’s adjusting a lot of things right now, so I think she may be overloaded with meds and new sights/smells/etc. Is there also a possibly that when she is out free ranging, that she could be eating something she isn’t supposed to? My chickens love to go into our garage and eat the paint flecks off of the bottom of the walls:rolleyes:

I forgot to ask what kind of feed you are giving her? I prefer Purina Flock Raider crumbles (found at TSC or other feed stores) for my mixed age flock of 10 chickens. If she is still reluctant to eat, you could also try feeding her a scrambled egg, canned tuna, wet mash of her food or baby bird food, and see if she will eat that to get some nutrition in her. I’d also try to get some liquids in her with her food as well if you can!

Let us know how the vet appt goes tomorrow and keep monitoring her vent area, crop, and poop. Fingers crossed for a successful day tomorrow!

Ha, us verbose folks need to stick together! ;)

You are likely right, especially after a couple of rough days. I figured since she seemed to be settling in okay that it wasn't a concern, but I suppose the stress of those two days, a new environment, lots of meds (that have to be administered in a less than fun way), and possibly the noise of our neighborhood (nearby minor construction sounds) probably all add up.

I've kept a pretty close eye on her as we do have ivy, myrtle, and lily of the valley in our yard but she is uninterested in them. The only thing she has taken a liking to that she shouldn't is the garlic chives, which I have to shoo her gently from whenever she wants to eat them. But because our yard isn't fully fenced, I am out there with her whenever she isn't in her coop, so I am able to keep an eye when she is near any of the plants that might be harmful. I suppose it is possible though that she has still managed to ingest something she shouldn't. I didn't even think of the paint flecks, I'll have to keep a look out for that!

Right now we have mixed her pellets (Nature's Best Organic Layer Feed) with a Mazuri blend made by a local mill with a high protein content. We've found that she does indeed prefer when we add water to the mix! She hasn't been too interested in eating any egg, as we've tried to hard boil and mash up some to feed back to her - we have done this on days where she wasn't doing well, though, and didn't have much interest in food in general, so that may explain it.

Vet gave her some subq fluids and gavage fed her with an Emeraid mix which I am now using to gavage/tube-feed her 35 mL 3x/day over the weekend. If she still needs the tube feeding come Monday, I'll increase that to 60 mL 3x/day. However, after yesterday she is already doing much better. Still a bit off balance and sleepy, but much more energetic than she was and much more alert. She has pecked at her food a few times and drinks some in addition to the tube-feed mix, so that is a good sign. Her poops are starting to look more normal as well, just a bit soft/watery because of the predominantly liquid diet. I had been concerned because she had what looked like some dried/hardened urate sticking out of her vent so I pulled lightly on it and it came out with some membrane attached and I was a bit panicky but shortly after she passed some clear and white urate with a bit of green fecal matter mixed in (this was only about 20 minutes after the first gavage feeding) and since then she has been fine.

I am trying just remain optimistic while not to getting my hopes up too much so that I keep monitoring diligently and sticking to her new care routine. :) Hope you're having a great weekend!

Ha, us verbose folks need to stick together! ;)

You are likely right, especially after a couple of rough days. I figured since she seemed to be settling in okay that it wasn't a concern, but I suppose the stress of those two days, a new environment, lots of meds (that have to be administered in a less than fun way), and possibly the noise of our neighborhood (nearby minor construction sounds) probably all add up.

I've kept a pretty close eye on her as we do have ivy, myrtle, and lily of the valley in our yard but she is uninterested in them. The only thing she has taken a liking to that she shouldn't is the garlic chives, which I have to shoo her gently from whenever she wants to eat them. But because our yard isn't fully fenced, I am out there with her whenever she isn't in her coop, so I am able to keep an eye when she is near any of the plants that might be harmful. I suppose it is possible though that she has still managed to ingest something she shouldn't. I didn't even think of the paint flecks, I'll have to keep a look out for that!

Right now we have mixed her pellets (Nature's Best Organic Layer Feed) with a Mazuri blend made by a local mill with a high protein content. We've found that she does indeed prefer when we add water to the mix! She hasn't been too interested in eating any egg, as we've tried to hard boil and mash up some to feed back to her - we have done this on days where she wasn't doing well, though, and didn't have much interest in food in general, so that may explain it.

Vet gave her some subq fluids and gavage fed her with an Emeraid mix which I am now using to gavage/tube-feed her 35 mL 3x/day over the weekend. If she still needs the tube feeding come Monday, I'll increase that to 60 mL 3x/day. However, after yesterday she is already doing much better. Still a bit off balance and sleepy, but much more energetic than she was and much more alert. She has pecked at her food a few times and drinks some in addition to the tube-feed mix, so that is a good sign. Her poops are starting to look more normal as well, just a bit soft/watery because of the predominantly liquid diet. I had been concerned because she had what looked like some dried/hardened urate sticking out of her vent so I pulled lightly on it and it came out with some membrane attached and I was a bit panicky but shortly after she passed some clear and white urate with a bit of green fecal matter mixed in (this was only about 20 minutes after the first gavage feeding) and since then she has been fine.

I am trying just remain optimistic while not to getting my hopes up too much so that I keep monitoring diligently and sticking to her new care routine. :) Hope you're having a great weekend!
I’m glad to hear she’s doing better! Fluids, feed, and the meds should hopefully perk her up in a few more days. I’d experiment with other foods she make like. My girls love plain Greek yogurt and melons. I’m sure your girl’s system is overloaded with everything so keep a close eye on her. Post pictures that you think will be helpful, too.
Enjoy your weekend as well and feel free to PM me if anything comes up! :)

Back
Top Bottom