Slower growing chick won't go to warm side so hecan be with siblings

Have you considered separating him from the others, or partition it off so it's with the others yet won't get "shoved/trampled"? IF you do put a mirror and/or a small stuffed animal in with it, a feather duster works great too. Of all the single hatches I've raised, the mirror never worked until this last one. I make a cave, supported up front with a stuffed animal for warmth. I will admit every situation gets adjusted to fit the chick.

Poulty Cell is another good product to have on hand. You could also try softening its food, adding vitamins to it IF it has difficulty drinking. Very possible it's one of those that take longer to grow (failure to thrive) but do our best to help it along.
Im setting up a separate brooder for it right now that'll be next to the others so they'll still be able to see and hear each other. He seems to be doing better with the pedialyte and poly-vi-sol. Still weak for sure and he had been doing even better till the black one came over and he got kicked. Hopefully he'll start eating when he's safe from the big ones and he'll be able to go back with them sooner than later.

So I've got him in a separate brooder and he seems to be doing good after he calmed down a little. I filled up his bowl with pedialyte with a few drops of poly-vi-sol added in and he's been drinking a good amount. At first he didn't eat anything cause he wouldn't move, so I put some in my hand to see if he would eat since I couldn't get food next to his head without spilling it in the water. He almost went for it, but he was worried I as gonna pick him up again (fair enough) so he backed away. When he did that it looked like he was limping. Got worried one of the others had hurt his foot or leg. Once he backed up though he could actually reach some food and began eating. He only ate a bit, then mostly slept and drank. After a bit though he's started walking normally so I think he just had no energy at all. He was probably using the little he had to not die. He didn't even struggle or cry when I picked him up to move him, and this guy always throws the biggest fits if he gets picked up.

I can tell he's still not feeling great, but he's actually been able to walk, eat and drink all on his own so I know he's doing a bit better. He's mostly sleeping now, but he's had three normal looking poops since I put him in which is a good sign. I can tell he's becoming a bit clingy towards me since I couldn't get his brooder up high enough to see his siblings and whenever he wakes up he starts looking for me and begins crying if I'm not there, so I guess I'm spending the night next to his brooder. I'll also have to stay up all night cause the heater for his brooder is one those heating pads you use if you have a cramp, and it shuts off every hour and a half. He loves the temperature its at cause he's moving between the hot and cool side every now and them and sits in the middle regularly. Definitely gonna be a bit of a stressful night making sure he stays alive, but that's just the way it's gotta be

Edit: He's still a bit wobbly when he walks, but everytime he wakes up and starts walking its obvious that he's more stable on his feet. His chirp is much stronger as well. Crazy how just some electrolytes and vitamins can bring a chick back that was essentially knocking on deaths door just an hour ago
IMG_2483.JPG
IMG_2485.JPG

Last edited:
I would try the separate brooder. As long as it can see and hear the other chicks it won't be too lonely.
He's doing well in his own brooder. Still not feeling great, but he's been walking, eating, drinking and pooping on his own. Unfortunately I couldn't quite get their brooders up at the same level so he can't see them, but he can hear them. I'll have to stay next to him tonight anyways to keep the heating pad from shutting itself off, and since he's started crying if I'm not in sight when he wakes up, I'm hoping he won't get too lonely until I can get him up higher safely to see his siblings

It's better for it to be a bit lonely for a bit so it can regain its strength. It sounds like the bigger chicks may have been keeping it from eating.

The normal poops are a good sign, and regaining energy an even better sign. Let us know how things go in the morning.

It's better for it to be a bit lonely for a bit so it can regain its strength. It sounds like the bigger chicks may have been keeping it from eating.

The normal poops are a good sign, and regaining energy an even better sign. Let us know how things go in the morning.
Ill definitely post an update in the morning. He's become more aware that his siblings aren't right there and has been doping that sort of distressed cry every now and then. Sad to hear,but its good he has the energy to make a more distinct and loud call than just a little chirp

He's still alive this morning and much more alert than yesterday. I put a wall mounted reptile heater pad on the outside of the brooder and since them was spending most of the time away from the warm side so I went to bed and let the main heating pad shut off. He seemed to be OK with that so things are hoping well. Definitely still weaker than he had been and he's not too stable when be walks, but he is able to walk. Still been eating and drinking and I've already had to clean out his brooder once. I might have to see if I can just hold him and quickly change the paper towels because he was so scared when I put him in another box for a couple minutes so he was out of the way. Gonna keep a close eye on him today and see if he looks like he's making progress or if I'll need to start to consider culling him

If the others aren't actively picking on the little one, you might be able to put it in with them while you clean the brooder. That will give it some company for a while as well.

If the others aren't actively picking on the little one, you might be able to put it in with them while you clean the brooder. That will give it some company for a while as well.
Once he's gotten some more strength back I'll feel it out and see if it looks good for him while I'm cleaning. I found he's not excited to be held still, but gets way less scared if I hold him snugly in a blanket against my body while I clean. Makes it so he spends as little time out of it as possible as well. Seems that's going to work for the time being until he's grown some more

I've noticed he's been doing waaaay more preening than he has ever done today. He hasn't begum jumping around or flapping his wings really, but his feathers actually developing more today is a great sign. Still far from being as developed as the others, but hopefully his feathers will keep coming in and his strength will keep coming back. If he stays on this trajectory I won't be culling him. Its certainty not fast progress, but theres been enough substantial improvements that I think he'll make with some extra attention. Luckily I've only got the four birds so its not taking too a lot away from the others.

Back
Top Bottom