small larvae/worms found when giving chicken an epsom salt bath…help!

devinpaige

In the Brooder
Jun 22, 2021
central alabama
Hello all…I’m a long time reader, but first time poster. I created an account just for this question specifically because I am stumped.

This week, one of my hens took a sudden decline. She lost weight, stopped eating, became lethargic and listless, and hasn’t been laying eggs. Her poop has been pretty normal, if a little runny, and we haven’t seen anything in it that looks like parasites.
To give you an idea of how bad she got: it rained one day, and I found her just sitting in the rain- she wouldn’t even go inside her house.

I brought her inside and did a thorough inspection, but found no obvious signs of an injury. We proceeded to give her an epsom salt soak, thinking maybe she was egg bound, and during the soak we were shocked to see…worms? larvae? we weren’t sure what they could be. There were 6-7 total, they were a little less than an inch long, they were white/clear in color but you could see through them a bit, and they had a reddish/brown spot on their head area. They squirmed around at the bottom of the tub for 30+ minutes, but didn’t drown or die.

Again, there was NO wound or injury that they could have come out of. I’m stumped! I’ve googled everything I can think of, but with no luck. So I humbly come to the one place that might be able to give us some answers and ask….have any of you seen something like this before?

(side note, we also discovered a small spot of bumble foot while inspecting her, so i’m wondering if that has anything to do with the worm things? she is doing better after the bath: eating and drinking a bit, more alert and feisty. i’m more concerned with these unidentified things and where they came from/what i should do in case there are more)

Thanks for reading and any help possible

Attachments

• 422BD0E3-0667-43F3-B9C1-5CA807F7BFDC.jpeg
    422BD0E3-0667-43F3-B9C1-5CA807F7BFDC.jpeg
    678.5 KB · Views: 77
  • 905FB23B-12BF-4D4D-A6B9-EF2172E5679B.jpeg
    905FB23B-12BF-4D4D-A6B9-EF2172E5679B.jpeg
    1,017.9 KB · Views: 26
My first thought is maggots, that there is a wound you didn't find....
...or they were in some poop stuck to her feathers.
How big are those 'things' in your pic?
Something in the pic(thru a microscope?) for scale or a measurement would help here.
I agree, first thoughts are maggots too.

I would re-check again, especially underneath her, below the vent. Part feathers and fluff to see if there's any maggots.

I agree, first thoughts are maggots too.

I would re-check again, especially underneath her, below the vent. Part feathers and fluff to see if there's any maggots.
My first thought is maggots, that there is a wound you didn't find....
...or they were in some poop stuck to her feathers.
How big are those 'things' in your pic?
Something in the pic(thru a microscope?) for scale or a measurement would help here.
Sorry for the late reply, I wanted to be sure I had checked and then rechecked everything before responding.

We have given her two more epsom salt soaks, but haven’t seen any more of the worm/maggot things emerge in the water. We gently blew her feathers dry after the bath and searched very thoroughly for a wound, but still found nothing! Could they have possibly come from the bumble foot spot we cleared out?

She did have some poop in her feathers during the first bath, but I’m not sure if it was enough to conceal all the maggot/worms that we saw come out. We had handled her to clean the bumble foot before the bath, so I feel like we would have noticed them while holding her.

I don’t have the worm/maggot things anymore for a size comparison, I let them wash down the drain when they refused to drown. They were about 3/4 of an inch or so long, a little wider than a toothpick.

Thanks for your response and help!

Back
Top Bottom