Small-Medium Breed LSG Dogs

Check out the American Working Farm Collie Association https://www.farmcollie.com/

A lot of herding dogs historically did do some guarding work. Many farmers did not have the money to have multiple dogs for every task on the farm. Many herding dogs would do a little bit of everything from pest control, guard work, and obviously moving stock.
There are some Belgians still bred for herding/farm work, but the conditions they were used for don’t particularly exist anymore. They were used to keep sheep off of neighbors’ land and to drive sheep into town for market. They didn’t handle the giant flocks over rough terrain like Borders. And remember that in their country of origin, and much of Europe for that matter, there haven’t been large predators for many hundreds of years. Belgians were primarily guarding against humans and foxes. This holds true for many Western European breeds. If you are interested in Belgians check out High Reaches kennel, they don’t breed often, but they might no someone who has what you’re looking for.

Check out the American Working Farm Collie Association https://www.farmcollie.com/

A lot of herding dogs historically did do some guarding work. Many farmers did not have the money to have multiple dogs for every task on the farm. Many herding dogs would do a little bit of everything from pest control, guard work, and obviously moving stock.
There are some Belgians still bred for herding/farm work, but the conditions they were used for don’t particularly exist anymore. They were used to keep sheep off of neighbors’ land and to drive sheep into town for market. They didn’t handle the giant flocks over rough terrain like Borders. And remember that in their country of origin, and much of Europe for that matter, there haven’t been large predators for many hundreds of years. Belgians were primarily guarding against humans and foxes. This holds true for many Western European breeds. If you are interested in Belgians check out High Reaches kennel, they don’t breed often, but they might no someone who has what you’re looking for.
Thank you I love Belgians, my cousin had one the most stunning Tervuren's, but I'm definitely interested in the sheepdog, which I realize would be at the top end medium to large in regards to size, thanks again I will look into both!

Thank you I love Belgians, my cousin had one the most stunning Tervuren's, but I'm definitely interested in the sheepdog, which I realize would be at the top end medium to large in regards to size, thanks again I will look into both!

The Belgians are wonderful, very intelligent dogs, but not the kind of dog that is likely to do well just left out back with a dog house and a flock of chickens.

Yep, not a ton of breed prone behavioral or heath issues and comes in different sizes.
Actually, all 3 sizes are really prone to cancer, and minis are prone to bladder stones, and pancreatitis. Mini and standard are basically terriers, so high prey drive. May not be good with the chickens. Standard and giant are often used as all round farm dogs.

The Belgians are wonderful, very intelligent dogs, but not the kind of dog that is likely to do well just left out back with a dog house and a flock of chickens.
That's what I was reading. They're bred as companions for the most part now. I initially was looking to adopt another house dog after my Terrier passed on, but as time went on and I started to put efforts into the property and birds, I started to reconsider.

I am open to both to be honest, but I opened this to find out what others are doing or not doing and recommend or don't because I don't usually do things by the books. Terrible with losing manuals.

That's what I was reading. They're bred as companions for the most part now. I initially was looking to adopt another house dog after my Terrier passed on, but as time went on and I started to put efforts into the property and birds, I started to reconsider.

I am open to both to be honest, but I opened this to find out what others are doing or not doing and recommend or don't because I don't usually do things by the books. Terrible with losing manuals.

It's not so much because they are bred more to be companions now, as really most dogs are these days. They are just not suited temperament wise for that kind of set up, nor are most of the herding breeds, or many other breeds as well.

You don't have to do things strictly by the books, but keep in mind that most dogs that are interested in chasing and killing critters are also going to want to chase and kill your birds. They'll need a lot of training, even LGDs. It's never as simple as just getting a dog and putting it out there to protect your livestock.

I haven't suggested it was, but maybe that is how this topic sounded, but I understand your interest with the breed and dogs. I was thinking about it more along the lines of what Tervuren wrote above.

The Belgian my cousin rescued was ultimately rehomed, after starting to go after their small dogs and they weren't able to physically work with him on it as older folks. My old Pin Min didn't have a problem establishing dominance when we visited, but I noted that the Belgian was going for all three of my dogs backs while out to play.

I wasn't sure if that was something to the breed or behavior learned, but thought it might have been instinctual to a degree.

I haven't suggested it was, but maybe that is how this topic sounded, but I understand your interest with the breed and dogs. I was thinking about it more along the lines of what Tervuren wrote above.

The Belgian my cousin rescued was ultimately rehomed, after starting to go after their small dogs and they weren't able to physically work with him on it as older folks. My old Pin Min didn't have a problem establishing dominance when we visited, but I noted that the Belgian was going for all three of my dogs backs while out to play.

I wasn't sure if that was something to the breed or behavior learned, but thought it might have been instinctual to a degree.
It's not unusual for Belgians to be dog aggressive, as well as some other herding breeds like Border Collies, Australian Shepherds and German Shepherds.

Unfortunately a lot of people do think it is just that simple. I wasn't sure where you were coming from and was just going by this-

Not pet, dog(s) would be given shelter near the flocks.

Back
Top Bottom