Small scale Breeding question

noodles17

Chirping
Oct 14, 2016
Upstate NY
I have 4 hens and a rooster. 1 hen is a silkie and the other 3, including the roo, are of the same father but different mother's. Would it be okay to mate my roo with his half sisters? I got them from my mom's flock who she incubated some eggs from. The hens lay very good and big eggs. And the roo has a very good temperament. One hen is full Americana and the rest are all half that something else. Roo is red/Americana. They are 3yr old now and am thinking of continuing my favorite hen. any suggestions?

I have 4 hens and a rooster. 1 hen is a silkie and the other 3, including the roo, are of the same father but different mother's. Would it be okay to mate my roo with his half sisters? I got them from my mom's flock who she incubated some eggs from. The hens lay very good and big eggs. And the roo has a very good temperament. One hen is full Americana and the rest are all half that something else. Roo is red/Americana. They are 3yr old now and am thinking of continuing my favorite hen. any suggestions?
So you have
1 silkie hen
1 americana
2 mixed americana and something hens
1 americana mixed roo...correct?

Does the rooster already mate the silkie?

If nobody has some kind of bad flaw, you could take the birds you have and breed them for the next 100 years without adding outside genetics.

Back
Top Bottom