Smelly Pond

Jun 13, 2022
Hey! Anyone know any solutions for a smelly duck pond?? We built and artificial pond for our ducks about 3 weeks ago and noticed yesterday that the smell was terrible. I know that is wasnt going to stay clean but didnt know it was going to smell that bad. We have some oxygenating plants in there and the original plans was to get some snails and freshwater critters to help eat some of the sludge but none in stock where we live as its 'out of season' for them. Anyone else found any solutions to keep it clean and less smelly? I would regularly empty the water weekly but I am pregnant and cant do lots of heavy lifting. The pond isnt that big thankfully but can run in and out tubes off it as the pond is very rural.

Thanks for any advice!

Mine is a 50 gal stock tank and if I can go 3 days without draining it's a good week lol. 3 weeks and it would be pure sludge. And I add water daily. Also put Oxiane ah in during this time to keep it halfway fresh. Do you know how many gallons your pond is?

Mine is a 50 gal stock tank and if I can go 3 days without draining it's a good week lol. 3 weeks and it would be pure sludge. And I add water daily. Also put Oxiane ah in during this time to keep it halfway fresh. Do you know how many gallons your pond is?
I have no idea how big it is lol,, crisis averted though! I didnt realise electric water syphons existed so ordered one to drain and refill regularly. I thought I was going to have to bucket the water out. I just ordered 20 snails in the hopes that the ducks dont eat all of them at once 😄

I ordered 10 small snails for my small pond [no waterfowl allowed] and I can't even see them now. I hope some of mine lived. There are goldfish in my 100gal stock tank pond.

That's great you found a way to get your pond working better. let us know how it works I'm sure many on here would appreciate the info.

Back
Top Bottom