Snacks??

JoeQ

Chirping
Mar 25, 2018
Hatboro Pa
Can anyone supply a nice list of fruits or veggies or even bug they feed their quail as treats? only thing I've found so far that they like is cucumbers when split in half!

Pillbugs, June bug grubs, worms, moths, grasshoppers, crickets, maggots, catipillars, earwigs, spiders and mealworms.
Zucchini, squash, seeds from bell pepper cores, lettuce, kale, chard, grass, dandelions, grass (chopped up so doesn’t tangle in crop souring and not sprayed), tomatoes, grapes, peaches, watermelon, apple (no seeds, arsenic) cucumber, mashed hard boiled eggs

Pillbugs, June bug grubs, worms, moths, grasshoppers, crickets, maggots, catipillars, earwigs, spiders and mealworms.
Zucchini, squash, seeds from bell pepper cores, lettuce, kale, chard, grass, dandelions, grass (chopped up so doesn’t tangle in crop souring and not sprayed), tomatoes, grapes, peaches, watermelon, apple (no seeds, arsenic) cucumber, mashed hard boiled eggs
well that about sums it up!! thank you!!

Quail, even domesticated ones, are avid hunters of bugs. Lubber grasshoppers (huge bright-colored ones) should be avoided because they're poisonous, though. Very brightly colored caterpillars may be poisonous, and ones with bristles could badly irritate a quail's throat. Really, assume unless you know otherwise that any especially bright invertebrates are poisonous.
Avoid ants, they bite and contain acid. Termites are generally fine but you may not want to get them near your coop.
Large spiders, scorpions, and centipedes are all bitey and venomous. Millipedes aren't venomous but are often poisonous or contain vile tastes.
Snails and slugs are definitely good options.
Basically, invertebrates that don't bite hard or contain poison are a good bet.

Mine love alfalfa sprouts - they go crazy for them! And sunflower sprouts are another favourite that I found out by accident. I'd sprouted some cockatiel seed and offered it to the aviary birds when we had Coturnix quail in the bottom of the aviary. The other birds didn't get a look in!

Back
Top Bottom