Snake ID - Florida panhandle

Harmless (to humans) rat snake.
If you’re not worried about him taking some eggs now and then and not raising chicks I don’t see an issue.
They'll eat your eggs and chicks and take them both out from underneath your broody hens
You can’t blame the snake for taking advantage of hens that are too dumb to fend it off. A stern peck or two should send any rat snake packing, they look for easy meals, not scuffles.
Feeding it will cause additional problems :he , than eliminating it. Any snake in the coop is dangerous for you and your hens. Would you reach around any snake in a nesting box to grab any eggs?
While I agree feeding the snake is not a great idea, I don’t see why this warrants it having to die. Not a dangerous snake. I wouldn’t call a garter snake or anything like that dangerous either, unless you’re a worm or frog…

Last edited:
Harmless (to humans) rat snake.
If you’re not worried about him taking some eggs now and then and not raising chicks I don’t see an issue.

You can’t blame the snake for taking advantage of hens that are too dumb to fend it off. A stern peck or two should send any rat snake packing, they look for easy meals, not scuffles.

While I agree feeding the snake is not a great idea, I don’t see why this warrants it having to die. Not a dangerous snake. I wouldn’t call a garter snake or anything like that dangerous either, unless you’re a worm or frog…
Burmese Pythons that can be pets and currently overtaking the Florida Everglades causing native species such as native birds, deer, other native wildlife to be in serious jeopardy. Therefore, there a python hunt in Florida where individuals earn revenue searching and additional income for capturing snakes and pay is based on size of snake. Snakes start small and a 18 foot 200+ pound snake has been caught. They were harmless to humans and look at the results!

Burmese Pythons that can be pets and currently overtaking the Florida Everglades causing native species such as native birds, deer, other native wildlife to be in serious jeopardy. Therefore, there a python hunt in Florida where individuals earn revenue searching and additional income for capturing snakes and pay is based on size of snake. Snakes start small and a 18 foot 200+ pound snake has been caught. They were harmless to humans and look at the results!
Good point, but rat snakes get nowhere near that size.

Admittedly, a rat snake could* kill an adult male human in the right scenario.

That is gross! I wish there would be regulations that keep the big box stores from selling snakes that people dump when they don’t want them anymore. I know it happens with other animals too but obviously the snakes are a major problem :(.

That is gross! I wish there would be regulations that keep the big box stores from selling snakes that people dump when they don’t want them anymore. I know it happens with other animals too but obviously the snakes are a major problem :(.
Correct these stores are looking for profit over risks. Reasons for having backyard chickens. Reasons I try and purchase locally. Such as feed from local mill. The feed store also has other stuff. Additionally, other items from local feed/hardware store.

Last edited:
Apples to oranges :confused: You’re comparing an exotic invasive species that gets big enough to eat deer to a native species that gets around two yards long at max and eats birds and rodents. All of these things about Burmese pythons have nothing to do with rat snakes.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom