Snakes in FL or anywhere

tarajane

Chirping
Feb 8, 2015
I've not seen ANY posts about snakes in the hen house. Moving to FL in May, I wondered if anyone there has had a problem with Pygmy Rattlers in the nest boxes or just around the hen house. Has anyone seen any poisonous snakes around the farm ? I have 3 small dogs and my husband is terrified they will be playing in the fenced yard and there will be Pygmys there just to bite them !
lau.gif
I guess it could be a problem but I wanted to hear from you guys. Any egg eating snakes ? Thanks

I've not seen ANY posts about snakes in the hen house. Moving to FL in May, I wondered if anyone there has had a problem with Pygmy Rattlers in the nest boxes or just around the hen house. Has anyone seen any poisonous snakes around the farm ? I have 3 small dogs and my husband is terrified they will be playing in the fenced yard and there will be Pygmys there just to bite them !
lau.gif
I guess it could be a problem but I wanted to hear from you guys. Any egg eating snakes ? Thanks

Yep, here's a picture of one of them there dad-burn North Florida-South Gaw-ja Pygmy Rattle Snakes. Boys, watch where you put your hands now you hear? 'Cause' his mama is still round here someplace.

Seriously, in my book if it crawls on its belly and lacks shoulders it'll eat eggs.

If I lived in Southern Florida I would be more concerned about a snake, especially a Python gulping down my small, and not so small dogs.

Last edited:
I DON'T THINK YOU HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT SOME PYGMY RATTLERS AS MUCH AS BURMESE PYTHONS. The lil snakes will run away as the pythons will move in for meal time. Small dogs?? a possible meal.. Chickens?? need i say. It all depends which part of Florida you will be at .. Check with your neighbors for best answers.
idunno.gif
Wear welding gloves when you go to pick up eggs.
lau.gif

OMG..............
barnie.gif
th.gif
Well, thank you very much.....no move for me !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just kidding but that IS a big mother......I think I would see that in my hen house....Anyway I will in central FL. Thanks for the panic.....

Hardee Har Har....maybe Kevlar gloves ?? I wasn't sure if the Burm's had made it up to central FL yet. Have they really or you just jokin ?

Hardee Har Har....maybe Kevlar gloves ?? I wasn't sure if the Burm's had made it up to central FL yet. Have they really or you just jokin ?

You'll have more problems out of the yellow rat snake aka chicken snake. I've lost quite a few chicks, pullets and cockerals to this non-venomous snake.

Here's what to do with them:

Back
Top Bottom