Snapping Turtle Attack

Chickerywitchery

Chirping
Jul 3, 2022
I have a very large pond on my property and it has a steady influx of snappers. Out of all my ducks and geese, there is one who has terrible luck.

2 months ago she was bitten on her right foot. Broke one toe and shredded her ankle. My normal vet saw her and 2 months of crate rest she's back outside.

Yesterday I found her with her left foot mangled. I'll attach a picture. Her middle toe has an almost surgical cut down to the bone from her nail to her heel while the webbing is completely detached from her outside toe.

My normal vet is on vacation and the fill in refuses to see exotics. Even for wound clean out and refill her past medications from the previous attack. So now I'm left to figure out a doctorate in duck medicine with tractor supply stock. Does anyone know what is safe for ducks in way of antibiotics, anti-inflammatory, etc? And what dose they'd need per pound? I have experience in bandaging the wounds and cleaning but I don't want to chance infection. Poor girls out of feet to sacrifice and my turtle traps aren't working fast enough.

Attachments

• 20230531_185829.jpg
    20230531_185829.jpg
    635 KB · Views: 55
I don’t know what the deadline is for us to buy antibiotic at TSC or online but it’s in the month of June. Hope it’s not too late. Do you have human antibiotics? If you use peroxide to clean out the wound only use it once. Actually a nice warm saline rinse would be safer. Hope. You can get those snappers I sure wouldn’t let my ducks into the pond until you do, a nice size kiddy pool would be safer

I don’t know what the deadline is for us to buy antibiotic at TSC or online but it’s in the month of June. Hope it’s not too late. Do you have human antibiotics? If you use peroxide to clean out the wound only use it once. Actually a nice warm saline rinse would be safer. Hope. You can get those snappers I sure wouldn’t let my ducks into the pond until you do, a nice size kiddy pool would be safer
I dont have a way to block them from it and since the first attack I've caught 4, thought I had the most of them gone until now. I didn't know TS had a deadline on products they sell? Peroxide would be extremely painful for her since the bottom wound is down to the bone.

I dont have a way to block them from it and since the first attack I've caught 4, thought I had the most of them gone until now. I didn't know TS had a deadline on products they sell? Peroxide would be extremely painful for her since the bottom wound is down to the bone.
I would buy some poultry netting and some stakes and make a pen to keep them in or else I am sure this is going to happen again. Snappers are notorious for finding ponds and making them their homes. This may sound absolutely crazy to you so take it for what it is worth. My Husband has used super glue, regular stuff when he has cut himself before as being a carpenter it has happened more than once. If it were my Duck I would be tempted to try to clean it and dry it and actually super glue the foot back together. You could put neosporin without pain reliever on the surround area afterwards. People probably think I am crazy with this suggestion but it has worked every time for my husband and he never gets stitched up. I pray you can help your duck somehow. Good Luck with it.

Super glue is a good idea. My TS said they don't have any regulations on antibiotics yet, could just be your state.

As for the pond, we keep traps out all year for snappers and out of the entire flock for 3 years she's the only one finding them. We have 2 separate 3 acre ponds on the property plus a creek and a half acre pond. It's turtle heaven over here and not really an option to fence anything off or in. They'd just get tangled in the fences since my birds all share the same braincell 😖 I really appreciate the glue idea.

Back
Top Bottom