Sneezing, 24 day old, Corn X...

naillikwj82

Songster
8 Years
Oct 30, 2011
Olympic Peninsula, WA
We have 25 CX chicks, 24 days old, brooder located in garage is 7 x 3 feet with deep wood shavings for bedding, feed at one end, H20 at the other with heat lamp in the center. Birds average at 2# 2 oz. About half have pretty good feathers while the some are showing few body feathers. I have been lowering the temp and am now at 55 degrees at the chicks level. Today observed several sneezes. We have same age RIR chicks, now fully feathered and no issues. Am I too agressive in lowereing the temp? If sneeze becomes persistant, what steps? Thanks
p.s. Why such dispairity difference with the feathering?

I don't know much.....

What kind of wood shavings? Pine is o.k..
I have chicks just a little younger....

Several sneezes in one chick or several chicks sneezed once each?

If it were six MONTH old chickens, I would say "have you wormed", but these are too young. Did you hatch them? Or buy them as chicks? Were they vaccinated against Marek's?

From what little I understand... if they are all grouping together tightly under the light.... they are cold... if they are spreading out, then they are plenty warm enough?

I don't know about the disparity in feathering, maybe like the runts of a litter of puppies, different ones grow at different rates, due primarily to the amount they eat.
Are they on chick starter?

Maybe stop lowering the temp for a week and see??

Best is to use the Search here on BYC and search for "Baby chicks sneezing" or "chicks sneezing" and see what comes up.

Good luck.

I would guess the feathering difference is gender specific. Your RIR chicks are fully feathered at 3-1/2 weeks?? My chickens are never FULLY feathered till about 6 weeks. As a matter of fact, I have 3 RIR chicks that are 24 days also, and they are definitely NOT fully feathered. When they extend their wings, you can see bare spots and their heads still have a considerable amount of fluff.

Last edited:
Chick_pauper, It is 4 individual chicks, Marek's = yes, medicated chick starter= yes. We get our bedding from a local furniture/cabinet shop, they are planner shavings of cherry, oak, and maple. (last batch was higher in saw dust) Will top coat the bedding today with pine shavings (another two inches).
We will hold the heat stead for the week, and observe. Thanks.

bustermommy, Yes the RIR's still have head fluff. I am comparing to the CX chicks. All of the CX chicks are roos, all obtained from McMurry. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom