Sneezing and quiet

Star2014

Songster
6 Years
Aug 15, 2014
Our Americauna has been sneezing about every half hour and she's kind of fluffed up and just sitting there. She's about 5 months old and hasn't started to lay yet. She is separated from the other chickens in a warm barn stall (in a crate). None of the others have shown any symptoms but I'm worried about this chicken. We live in Maryland in case that helps.
Thanks you so much!

Does she have drainage coming out of her eyes or nostrils? This could be a respiratory infection. Is she still eating/drinking? How do her poops look? How long has she shown symptoms?

Poop is runny no drainage hasn't sneezed since I took her out of the coop I think. She was sleeping when I found her but it was dark in the barn. Still eating and drinking and only started showing symptoms this morning. She is walking around the crate she also ate a mealworm out of my hand and some layena crumbles. I gave her and her flock bread pieces a couple days ago but they weren't moldy. None of her flock mates are showing symptoms and are acting fine.

I think that it is URD(upper respiratory disses). This is how I treat it:

Get Dervet at the feed store (It is $10.99). Put less than a pinch mixed in with some water and apple cider vinegar. Stir it a little then add a drop of VetRX. Use a medicine plunder from CVS and drop it into her mouth. gently pull on the wattles to open her mouth and use your other hand or someone else to squirt some in her mouth. let go of the wattles to give her time to swallow. Every once in a while give her some plain water to rinse it all down. Do it 2 times a day I treated 3 chickens from my flock with this. I only lost one out of the flock of 11. treat the rest of the flock if they start showing symptoms. After giving them the antibiotics you can't eat the eggs for three weeks, so it is a last resort to treat the whole flock. But put VetRX in the water that they all drink. There is no egg withdrawal time on that. Good luck!

I think that it is URD(upper respiratory disses). This is how I treat it:

Get Dervet at the feed store (It is $10.99). Put less than a pinch mixed in with some water and apple cider vinegar. Stir it a little then add a drop of VetRX. Use a medicine plunder from CVS and drop it into her mouth. gently pull on the wattles to open her mouth and use your other hand or someone else to squirt some in her mouth. let go of the wattles to give her time to swallow. Every once in a while give her some plain water to rinse it all down. Do it 2 times a day I treated 3 chickens from my flock with this. I only lost one out of the flock of 11. treat the rest of the flock if they start showing symptoms. After giving them the antibiotics you can't eat the eggs for three weeks, so it is a last resort to treat the whole flock. But put VetRX in the water that they all drink. There is no egg withdrawal time on that. Good luck!
This is precisely what I would recommend also. Hope you have good success with her! :)

I am under the age of 16 and can't drive do you think that she needs it today or could she get it tomorrow?

Can you post a picture of her poop, and also of her so that we can see how she looks? Is all her poop runny, or just the odd one or two?

Is she still eating and drinking, and has her sneezing really stopped now that she is away from the coop?

How are your other birds? Are any of them sneezing or looking ill?

Have you changed anything in the coop recently, and what do you use for bedding? Is your coop floor hard / earth / deep litter...?

Are your birds confined to a run, or do they free range?

Although sneezing may indicate a respiratory disease, it can also simply be caused by dust in the coop or the environment. It may be wise to do a bit more research before you start to dose your bird with antibiotics, as you could be medicating her for nothing, and that is not a good thing to do.

The more information you can give us, the better we can help you.

Yes, just make sure she is drinking. If not then push her beak gently into water to make her drink. Treat her as soon as possible though. Keep her inside tonight and give her access to food and clean water.
Watch your other chickens carefully, and let us know if any others show signs
caf.gif
Watch for:
  • Face swelling
  • sneezing
  • coughing
  • signs of blindness
    • starring at a wall
    • running into things
    • ect.
  • shaking her head
  • crusty eyes (sometimes all the way sealed shut) Graphic picture, sorry

(Tell us if this happens, I know what to do about it)
(This is my hen last month, she lived and made a full recovery. She started laying again this week
yesss.gif
! {In this pic she could not open her eye.})

Now the questions...
What is she doing? Does she seem alert? Is she drinking, eating, and walking well?

Sorry about all the questions,
-G

Back
Top Bottom