Sneezing baby chicks

ILikeChickenNuggets

Songster
5 Years
Mar 25, 2019
Hello
Im currently raising three baby chicks, theyre only a few days old. Ive noticed two of them sneeze a lot, shake, and have watery poop (ive added a picture of it). Otherwise, they eat, drink and play like they should.
What could be the cause and what should I do?
IMG_8441.jpeg

Tell us more:
Where did you get them?
How are you keeping them? (brooder box, heat lamp?)
What are you feeding them?
I incubated them.
Theyre kept in a brooder box, and I use a heating plate as their warmth. Their bedding is cedar shaving and they eat starter feed.

1. New chicks should be on something that they wont confuse with food. Small pieces of Saw dust and shavings will be ingested by new chicks because they don't recognize what their food is yet.
Never use cedar in tight spaces with new chicks the aroma we all love is deadly to their respiratory system. Glad you fixed that quickly.
2. non slip surface is also important for new chicks at first. Ligaments are soft and slipping can result in spraddle leg. I always use full sheets of paper towel for the first 3 days then go to newspaper, then to nerwspaper with pine shavings after that.
I dont think the runny stool is concerning as yet.
Have you put a chick supplement or booster in their water?

1. New chicks should be on something that they wont confuse with food. Small pieces of Saw dust and shavings will be ingested by new chicks because they don't recognize what their food is yet.
Never use cedar in tight spaces with new chicks the aroma we all love is deadly to their respiratory system. Glad you fixed that quickly.
2. non slip surface is also important for new chicks at first. Ligaments are soft and slipping can result in spraddle leg. I always use full sheets of paper towel for the first 3 days then go to newspaper, then to nerwspaper with pine shavings after that.
I dont think the runny stool is concerning as yet.
Have you put a chick supplement or booster in their water?
Thank you for the information! The newspaper havent been an issue yet, and doesnt seem to make them slip!
Theyre not on any supplements right now; should they be?

Cedar is a respiratory irritant. I wouldn't do newspaper either as that can be slippery under their little feet. Plain paper towels would be my recommendation (the cheap stuff is fine) or aspen shavings, if you prefer a wood shaving product.
Thank you! I thought the newspaper would make them slip as well, but it doesnt seem to. It may be the specific type of paper i use!

Back
Top Bottom