sneezing, wheezing & gurgling chickens

litredhen

In the Brooder
11 Years
Nov 29, 2008
Vermont
Well the subject mostly covers it...

Hello my chickens are sneezing and wheezing. Started with one two days ago. Then I brought that one in. Now a few are having the same symptoms. The first one is eating a little but still sneezing.
Also the first one seems to occasionally make a gurgling sound in the throat. When all first strarted she was making huge squaks I thought she was choking on something?
I tried the Apple cider vinegar in their water. And today gave them cooked oatmeal with kelp, ACV, and a drop of molasses. They loved this.
Any recommendations?
thanks

Also I recently got a mew rooster and think he could of brought some crud from another flock...
sad.png

I use about a 4th cc of each. Vet RX and liquid ivermectin. Same gurgling symptoms. Just give it in mouth. It helped mine. Good shot your Roo did bring it. Chopped garlic can work as an antibiotic..

Thanks so much for all the helpful recommendations! I will see about finding some of these tomorrow.
-s

Big follower of Vet Rx. It will NOT cure any disease, but it does sooth a sick chicken with respiratory problems. You can put it in the eye, but DO NOT drench it. use your fingers to apply it over the eye, the bird will absorb it.

I put the stuff on the combs and the waddles. Be sure to smell your birds head before you apply the stuff. You can get alot of information from the smell of a chickens face.

Some people say they put the stuff directly down the nostriles. I tend not to do this, I fear that they will asperate it into thier lungs and this is a death sentence.

You can even put it on thier legs. Watch them carefully, especially at night. Listen to the breathing when they are on the roost. Any gorgling or rattles should be addressed.

So I either put rx down throat with dropper or pat on eyes or legs? Can I get this at a pet store or feed store or do I have to go to a vet?
thanks

You can give it how you want. It is over the counter. Feed stores should carry it. I got mine from the local hatchery.

with the vetrx, your only suppose to give 1 or 2 drops ( if you dont dilute it with water) at a time,, and if you put it in their mouth at 1 drop,, theres no worries about "where" it goes,, and same with putting it on them, 1 drop under each wing,or on wattles, or chest,, or bout anywhere that they would breathe in the vapors,,,,its like humans vicks vapor rub. and it is suppose to be warmed up if put on the body, just stick it in some hot water for a little while till it gets warm.

Back
Top Bottom