Snow and below zero weather

ShariChitown

In the Brooder
Nov 29, 2023
This weekend we are expecting blizzard conditions and heavy snow, to add to this below zero temperatures.

IMG_2155.jpeg
I have my coop wrapped up in a plastic tarp- clear. I close up the end to keep the snow and or rain out to keep my girls dry. When no inclement weather I have the end open, for fresh air. There are several areas that have “vents”.

I have an Eglu Go up and Run- by omelette, there are no vents inside to give them fresh air. I’ve thought about leaving the door open, but I worry about critters…

Needless to say I’m worried about my goofy girls, I have 2 silkies and 1 barred rock, my other barred rock got injured 4th of July, my Rhode Island Red got killed over 4th of July.

They usually do fine in even very low temperatures as long as they can stay dry and can get out of prevailing winds. Ventilation is VERY important. If the coop is too closed up and there are too many birds then there can be condensation overnight and frostbite becomes a real risk when temps are below freezing. If you go out early and feel the sides and ceiling inside the coop when you let the birds out, see if there is moisture on the surfaces. If there is, then you have a problem that may lead to frostbite injuries to combs, wattles, and feet/legs. When birds breathe they exhale an enormous amount of moisture into the air. If there is not enough ventilation it will condense on the cold surfaces, and will also condense on combs, wattles, and feet/legs. It's a very common way of frostbite. For snow or frozen ground, you can put up some roosts or boards in the run, wider boards raised up on blocks will give them a place to walk that is off the snowy, wet, or icy ground. Hay or straw bales can work also. Some people use an old truck canopy raised up on hay bales in the run to give them a sheltered place out of the wind while outside. In the "old days" open sided coops were very, very common. The open side (covered in wire) was pointed away from the prevailing winds, and birds did fine.
There is a very good (and very old) book that is all about fresh air poultry houses and air quality and ventilation, many of the examples are in very far northern climates : https://www.amazon.com/Fresh-Air-Po...987549&sprefix=Fresh+air+poult,aps,140&sr=8-2

If you were able to see the picture, the north end I open it. At night I’ll close it up. I have noticed moisture at times when I close it up.

If no rain or snow is predicted I leave it open. During the day while they are out I leave it open, there is enough over hang to keep them dry. I put a lot of straw in there, they freaked out as it was too much. So I removed some of it.

Thanks for book suggestion. The new coops are designed with ventilation. When I can I want to upgrade to a walk in coop. I do have a roost for them and a swing.

Back
Top Bottom