Snow drifting into coop?

Ghenri

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 15, 2013
At the moment we are having a really bad snow storm, the wind is crazy. I checked the coop and about an inch of snow has somehow found it's way inside, right in the corners. I added more hay and put Vaseline on their combs to prevent frostbite. I can't see what else I can do, they have been fine so far this very cold winter. This is the first time any amount of snow has gotten into the coop. But yet I'm still worried that they will freeze. Are they resistant enough in this weather. What else can I do?

The snow is probably being driven through a very small crack. I wouldn't get too worried if it's just getting into corners. Just remove it after the storm so it doesn't melt and wet the bedding. If they're acting normally, then they're probably ok. As long as they can roost together and keep their feet covered, they should be fine.

How cold is it in the coop? We had a week-long stretch of single digit temps going as low as -10°F with high winds last month and my chickens did just fine. The body heat from six chickens plus a 60 watt water heater kept the temp in the coop around 15°F

With the windchill factor it's -21 Celsius outside tonight. It was much colder yesterday. There is 6 chickens, but no heater because the barn is fully made of wood. They made out fine yesterday. The snow is only in the corners mostly and I will clean it up tomorrow. I'm just worried about them overnight because they are so little! This week has been the coldest yet. The winters are harsh here.

You can put a few milk bottles with hot water under the roosts as a stopgap measure. They will radiate heat for quite while and it's amazing how warm you can make a confined space with just a little heat source. No fire danger either.

You can put a few milk bottles with hot water under the roosts as a stopgap measure.  They will radiate heat for quite while and it's amazing how warm you can make a confined space with just a little heat source.  No fire danger either.

Great idea!!! I'll do that if it gets cold again. If anyone knows any other DIY tips similar please let me know! Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom