So few Eggs!!!!! HELP

labloverx5

In the Brooder
Feb 16, 2015
Mass.
After reading other posts today I guess I am not alone.
I have 4 hens that are nearly 3 yrs old ( Rhode Island reds, a Barred Rock and a leghorn).
I also have 5 Buff Orpingtons and 4 Blk Australorps (nearly 2 yrs.).
I was in a total shut down since at least early Nov.or even late Oct. I have 3 that have begun laying again but I am finding that one is eating the eggs. Fortunately she is housed with only 2 others.

They are getting 18% pellets, plenty of water, and are free from parasites.
I guess I just have to sit back and wait?
They did all molt at various times too this fall. My barred rock molted first and she is one of the ones back laying. I guess I am being impatient?

Thanks for any help!

After reading other posts today I guess I am not alone.
I have 4 hens that are nearly 3 yrs old ( Rhode Island reds, a Barred Rock and a leghorn).
I also have 5 Buff Orpingtons and 4 Blk Australorps (nearly 2 yrs.).
I was in a total shut down since at least early Nov.or even late Oct. I have 3 that have begun laying again but I am finding that one is eating the eggs. Fortunately she is housed with only 2 others.

They are getting 18% pellets, plenty of water, and are free from parasites.
I guess I just have to sit back and wait?
They did all molt at various times too this fall. My barred rock molted first and she is one of the ones back laying. I guess I am being impatient?

Thanks for any help!
I am in the same boat.
barnie.gif
14 hens and getting barely 1 egg a day. My hens get a min. 18% whole grain layer feed, table scraps, and they free range daily.

Once day light time starts coming down they stop laying.They should start laying pretty soon but they are getting old and egg production is going to drop.Chickens are not egg machines.

I've got 30+ hens/6mo pullets. We were at complete shut down for a long time too. Molting and short days. Lucky to get one egg a day. Then we got 3 in one day about two weeks ago. Then nothing. Then 9 in one day. Then none. Then 1-3 the last few days. AHHHHHHHH!!!!! Come on ladies! Bunch of free loaders!
Switched mine to a 20% to help with the molting. Table scraps and are free ranged over acres all day every day.

Last edited:
I've got 30+ hens/6mo pullets. We were at complete shut down for a long time too. Molting and short days. Lucky to get one egg a day. Then we got 3 in one day about two weeks ago. Then nothing. Then 9 in one day. Then none. Then 1-3 the last few days. AHHHHHHHH!!!!! Come on ladies! Bunch of free loaders!
Switched mine to a 20% to help with the molting. Table scraps and are free ranged over acres all day every day.

They are 6 months old what?

I personally have gotten no eggs since the days got shorter from my 11 hens. A few just never lay anymore (Only 3), but you know, they lay a lot of eggs in their life and this is the one time a year they get a break
gig.gif
They should pick up once the days get longer. Good luck :)

They are 6 months old what?

I'm not exactly sure what your asking. They are a mix of ages. All 40 range in age from 20 months all the way down to about 4 months, but I dont consider them "free loaders" until they are 6mo+. If you're asking about breeds, I have a huge variety. EE, OE, BO, Buckeye, Bantam Cochin, Ameraucana, SF, BLur Andalusian, SCM, Golden Buff, Exchequer Leghorn, BB, LFCochin, Black Australorp, GLW, polish/sizzles, silkies, polish, and Barred Rock.

Last edited:
Yep, sit back and wait.

they don't lay year round, year after year. Winter is the time to rest and recharge. It's a cycle. As the days are getting longer, they'll be coming back into lay.

If you want eggs all winter, you either need to start with fresh pullets each year, or supplement lighting.

I'm not exactly sure what your asking. They are a mix of ages. All 40 range in age from 20 months all the way down to about 4 months, but I dont consider them "free loaders" until they are 6mo+. If you're asking about breeds, I have a huge variety. EE, OE, BO, Buckeye, Bantam Cochin, Ameraucana, SF, BLur Andalusian, SCM, Golden Buff, Exchequer Leghorn, BB, LFCochin, Black Australorp, GLW, polish/sizzles, silkies, polish, and Barred Rock.

Oh you just said 30 hens/Pullet and i was confused.Most pullets lay through the winter.

Back
Top Bottom