So I think I’ve adopted an Easter duckling

TsiugBoidheach

In the Brooder
Sep 3, 2022
7D9C8F01-E8BA-4C13-B3A5-CC30ACF24090.jpeg

This is my friend, Coach Bombay (the name she already had), the khaki Campbell

I adopted Coach Bombay 2 weeks ago from a local shelter in the city that I live in.
The shelter had her listed as 6 months old at the time of adoption but they didn’t know her exact age.
I figured since she was abandoned at a shelter for cats and dogs then she must have been an Easter duckling and is maybe closer to 5 months old as of now.

She was listed with a few potential neurological problems but I’ve fixed all of them since they were symptoms of stress and extreme loneliness.

Also, when I first got her she was shedding a lot of small white and light colored feathers. She still sheds some but not much.

8D829038-605D-42E4-B7B1-3AA1A2AC2DEA.jpeg

So let’s cut to the chase- I have never raised a human imprinted bird before. My grandparents raised chickens on their farm and I got to be a part of that. My dad’s property has a few ducks on it as well. But of course those birds were all raised with a flock since hatching.

I have good reason to believe Coach is imprinted to humans (and no idea if she at least imprinted on what siblings she might have had before being separated).
From the moment I met her she tried doing her “duck talk”, lookin at me and opening her mouth rapidly but making no sound. (This was listed as one of her problems in her chart but I got her to talk with noises she can actually make by softly making the “chook chook chook” chicken calls I was raised with.)

From the moment I brought her home she seemed desperate for human interaction despite how stressed and scared she was. I spent the first few nights sleeping on the floor a respectful distance away from her, and found that she would approach me while I was asleep to nibble at my face.

Fast forward 2 weeks and she’s inseparable from me. I’m not the only human she has around; she certainly almost never alone. She’s friendly with other people and loves pets and being chased around like it’s a game, but it’s me she wants to be near. She quacks loudly if I leave her sight, even if there are other people still there. I’ll usually contact call with her to let her know I’m still around, and if I do actually intend on going somewhere she usually turns her interests elsewhere instead of calling for me.

She hasn’t laid any eggs yet, not that I’m bothered about it. Occasionally I’ll check and make sure she isn’t on her way to laying her first and struggling with it. Which isn’t hard because I’m pretty sure she thinks that she’s getting laid whenever I have to handle her.

I’m no stranger to bird behavior and I’ve put in hours and hours in reading up to get inside the head of a duck lol
She head bobs at me and nobody else almost aggressively, shifting around a lot and presenting her vent to me, though sometimes she buries her head into my armpit, shirt, cleavage, or even shoved her head right into my hand for me to hold.
Sometimes she’ll climb on me and/or bite me. Not her usual nibbles but not hard enough to draw blood, but once she gets a grip she’ll shake her head excitedly.
She also just makes lots of squeaking and honks and even pants when she gets overexcited.
Sadly for her and thankfully for me she probably doesn’t know what duck sex is and is more than satisfied if I give her a hug and some energetic petting, after which she struts around pumping her head at me and kinda lowering her bill to the ground as if there were just the tastiest treats imaginable there.

So that’s my curiosity and bewilderment over teenage duck behavior as well as just the whole thing of raising a bird that was imprinted to humans, as someone who was not one of those humans. Sometimes I watch her and try to figure what she must have been used to as a duckling, or how being abandoned affected her development, and how all that paints her behavior as an adult.

All I know for sure is that she’s been happy and healthy since I’ve been taking care of her. I can definitely say that I’m now very familiar with what pure joy looks like for a duck and I’m happy I could do that for her.

(Also I’m not sure if she knew how to fly before she came into my care but I never saw her make an attempt until she chased after some local pigeons who dared to touch her yard. She made it a game after that. She’d chase the pigeons, they’d fly away, that would startle her into flying back over to me, rinse, repeat haha)

Last edited:
Oh I should say that the point of this thread is that I just want to understand Coach more so I can give her my best care and know what to look for or expect. I can barely find any resources for this particular kind of case with a human imprinted duck that doesn’t know other ducks and is no longer a duckling and all that

What a story! It sounds like you are trying your best to give Coach her best possible life. I hope someone can provide more insight for you.

Not only have none of my runner ducks ever imprinted on me, they all spend their lives eyeing me with suspicion, like I'm going to murder them -- even as they take feed from my hand.

Would love to see updates on Coach!

:welcome

Thank you very much for taking little Coach in and giving her a loving home! She is a very pretty little duck. I'm very impressed with everything you've done so far! You've done your homework and have come to the best resource, bar none, around (imo)!

You will need to get her some friends though. Human interaction cannot replace what she truly craves, which is the company of other ducks.

What are you currently feeding her?

:welcome

Thank you very much for taking little Coach in and giving her a loving home! She is a very pretty little duck. I'm very impressed with everything you've done so far! You've done your homework and have come to the best resource, bar none, around (imo)!

You will need to get her some friends though. Human interaction cannot replace what she truly craves, which is the company of other ducks.

What are you currently feeding her?
For the moment I’m feeding her a mix of fruits and vegetables such as kale, peas, tomato, green peppers, apples, strawberries, broccoli, and other stuff, based on what I’ve could learn about duck nutrition.

I also feed her occasional treats of tofu for calcium, pieces of shrimp (she doesn’t seem to care for fish), and small portions of dog food (I don’t have my dog to look after anymore after a very recent breakup, but I still have her food.) Made sure it was safe for her to eat. Wouldn’t have thought about it if she hadn’t been so zealous about getting into my housemate’s cat’s food.

I wash all her food and cut it into pieces she can safely eat.

Of course I want to get her some feed, oyster shell, and mealworms once I take a trip out of the city and to a farm supply store. Luckily I live in a city that’s surrounded by miles and miles of rural land in every direction so that won’t be hard.

Aside from that I also take her out to forage all the time. She didn’t need my help with getting to work on the yard (though she was hesitant to step out onto the grass at first and just wanted to stay on the walkway).

Still I caught her some slugs and dug up some clover to show her what was good and when I empty her swimming water I till the soil to leave some exposed mud for her to dig up and that’s her favorite thing to do (she does a cute little shuffle whenever she’s dug up something really good)

So as for companions, how would one go about introducing her to another duck? Now I was young when I helped my grandpappy with his chickens and other birds but I remember introducing new birds into the flock being a whole process, and that was with well established and decently large flocks.

Now I don’t have enough space at the moment to get a drake since I would need several more hens to make that safe, but eventually rehoming her and any friends to my dad’s property could be a long term goal, as I definitely don’t plan on staying at my current residence for the entire lifetime of a duck haha

She's beautiful! try and get the feed and oyster shell asap she will be starting into laying soon and needs a well balanced diet. What we have found works best for introducing birds to a new one is by setting up a separate area for the new one with fencing between so they can get use to each other without picking on each other. Shouldn't take long for them to bond.

My Call duck is imprinted on me, and while I love her so so so much, she's happier now that I got her a friend (even though she's not 100% sold on sharing with this new duck). She's not so attached to me anymore, which makes me kind of sad sometimes, but I know it's what's best for her.

You shouldn't have too hard a time finding a hen (female duck) if you look on Craigslist or Facebook. They will need to be able to see each other for a while before actually integrating them - the "see-but-don't-touch" method. But ducks aren't neat as difficult to integrate as chickens because they are so very social. You can search BYC for duck integration. You'll get tons of info.

BTW - my duck fully expects me to mate with her. When she's swimming, she will flatten out in the water and stretch out her neck. It's like when chickens squat. Silly birds...

Update:

I think she’s gonna lay her first egg soon. Might be wrong but her pelvis feels like it might be kind of wider and she’s been acting extra demanding for attention. I’m going to go ahead and get oyster shell for her but I also don’t want to encourage her to lay too much. Honestly nervous and hoping she’s completely healthy

Withholding calcium isn't going to 'discourage' egg laying, and it could cause other problems like soft shells and egg binding. Her body is going to do what it was designed to do. The only way you can stop her from laying is an implant that will counter the hormones in her. You have that done at the vet.

Look at it this way: free, yummy eggs! Duck eggs are so much creamier than chicken eggs, and they are fantastic in baking.

Back
Top Bottom