So....talk about.....CANCER SUPPORT THREAD !!

Hi, Luna, Threegoodeggs, Nifty....
This is the first post I have made in many months. It's been a crazy ride for me and DH over the last few years.
If you all remember, we gave up our homestead and moved in with my aging grandparents to care for them since they could no longer do it on their own. That was in 2011. We lost my grandpa in December of 2013 at the ripe old age of 95. Grandma went immediately and sharply downhill.
She has Alzheimers and it has been very challenging trying to deal with her condition from day to day.
Two weeks ago we finally had to resign ourselves to the reality of placing her in a assisted living where she could be watched much more closely. That was very hard but at the same time, a relief.
Now, my father has cancer and is starting radiation. It is skin cancer that has spread deep into the tissues on his neck and head. After loosing Mom, this has just knocked the wind right out of me.
I'm glad to be back in the active BYC community again. I have missed you all, my friends. :)
I ordered my first chicks in 5 years today! I'm going to be a chick-a-holic again ;)

I was so terribly saddened to learn about Coyotemagic's passing. Cindi will be sorely missed. She was a special individual and a fierce warrior! May she rest in peace now, she fought a valiant and noble fight!

This is the first post I have made in many months. It's been a crazy ride for me and DH over the last few years.
If you all remember, we gave up our homestead and moved in with my aging grandparents to care for them since they could no longer do it on their own. That was in 2011. We lost my grandpa in December of 2013 at the ripe old age of 95. Grandma went immediately and sharply downhill.
She has Alzheimers and it has been very challenging trying to deal with her condition from day to day.
Two weeks ago we finally had to resign ourselves to the reality of placing her in a assisted living where she could be watched much more closely. That was very hard but at the same time, a relief.
Now, my father has cancer and is starting radiation. It is skin cancer that has spread deep into the tissues on his neck and head. After loosing Mom, this has just knocked the wind right out of me.
I'm glad to be back in the active BYC community again. I have missed you all, my friends.
smile.png

I ordered my first chicks in 5 years today! I'm going to be a chick-a-holic again
wink.png
hugs.gif

Oh, it is nice to have you back!, but I am sorry about your
loss of your grandfather, and your grandmother's dementia.
I hated losing my grandmother like that.
I am also sorry that you have to battle cancer again with your dad.

You have been through it all. There is a thread here that you might find beneficial, It has kind of gone from very serious to slap happy, but It is up lifting either way.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/939217/quotes-and-thoughts-for-the-day/0_50

Enjoy the new chicks!!!
Great to have you back!
highfive.gif

I'm glad to be back in the active BYC community again. I have missed you all, my friends.
smile.png

I ordered my first chicks in 5 years today! I'm going to be a chick-a-holic again
wink.png
Sorry to hear all the bad news for your family
sad.png
. I will be praying for you. What type of skin cancer does your father have? Hoping they caught it in time. And also a word of advice to you to keep an eye on yourself as the skin cancers are hereditary.

Outpost JWB, I thank you for the prayers.
I forget what they are calling Dad's cancers. He has a ton of them and some have gone very deep into the tissues on his neck and head. They have had him doing some sort of radiation salve for the past three weeks to try and get it manageable enough for the localized conventional radiation. He is in a lot of pain as a result :(
It makes me very sad to see him like this as he has always been such an active person. Now he just sits in the house for the most part and finds no pleasure in his normal hobbies.

The 3 main types are melanoma, squamous, and basal cell. Sounds like he probably has a mixture.

Hopefully with springtime coming maybe he can get involved in gardening, or something and give him something to look forward to. You need make sure you and your family always wear hats and sunscreen in the sun. I had basal cell last summer. Basal cell is the most common of skin cancers. It is the most easily treated. It is the most likely to come back. I am now an advocate for wearing sunscreen. Does your dad have a pet? They help bring the spirit up----if he likes animals.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom