Soap makers of BYC!

Apr 13, 2022
Central New York
Hello! I’m a soap maker! I was wondering how many other people make soap. Post pictures, and tips and tricks are helpful too!

Attachments

• 7C8BA273-86A4-4712-AC02-93AFDEEAAC1C.jpeg
    7C8BA273-86A4-4712-AC02-93AFDEEAAC1C.jpeg
    573.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 63F341DB-80FA-4092-AA87-189E6EAC145D.jpeg
    63F341DB-80FA-4092-AA87-189E6EAC145D.jpeg
    329.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 3D129B6B-807F-43AD-B676-1CC44E0CFF12.jpeg
    3D129B6B-807F-43AD-B676-1CC44E0CFF12.jpeg
    479.2 KB · Views: 2
:frow I'm a relative newbie to soap making. Been soaping for just over a year now, but I only make a new batch every month or so--I actually have skipped a few months now and should probably make another batch soon! I make egg soap with eggs from my chickens. 😁
I've never heard of egg soap, how do you do that?

I make mine witrh the rendered fat from my goats. and the answer is, "badly". Still learning. My lye solution bubbled over last time, which utterly destroyed any pretense at accurate measurement.

Do you remember if you poured the water into the container with your measured lye or vice versa? It tends to bubble up if you pour the water into the lye so it's not advised to do it that way. I've never had it bubble up at all when pouring the lye into the container with the measured water instead.

I've never heard of egg soap, how do you do that?

I use about one large egg per pound of oils or roughly three bantam eggs per two pounds of oils. Break them into a separate container and blend them with the stick blender until smooth, then pour them into your measured soaping oils and blend it all together. The lye water has to be adjusted for the water in the eggs (I'll have to pull out my notes, I don't remember off the top of my head how much less water I use per egg) and cooled to no hotter than ~105°F or it might start cooking your eggs when you pour it into the oils and egg mix. The rest is the same as making a regular batch of cold process. 😁

Do you remember if you poured the water into the container with your measured lye or vice versa? It tends to bubble up if you pour the water into the lye so it's not advised to do it that way. I've never had it bubble up at all when pouring the lye into the container with the measured water instead.

I use about one large egg per pound of oils or roughly three bantam eggs per two pounds of oils. Break them into a separate container and blend them with the stick blender until smooth, then pour them into your measured soaping oils and blend it all together. The lye water has to be adjusted for the water in the eggs (I'll have to pull out my notes, I don't remember off the top of my head how much less water I use per egg) and cooled to no hotter than ~105°F or it might start cooking your eggs when you pour it into the oils and egg mix. The rest is the same as making a regular batch of cold process. 😁
Lye into water - shoulde have used a larger container, or not stirred it.

I have never heard of egg soap! Goat milk soap is really nice too! @U_Stormcrow keep trying!
actually, goat fat soap does a marvelous job on dog paws. My neighbor is a groomer, has bought 6# of the stuff off of me. The remaining 2 1/2# I've used for myself, and for washing my dogs. Its great for rough, dry skin, crusty ears, etc...

Has anyone made coffee soap with real coffee instead of water in the lye solution? I was wondering about doing that in my coffee soap, but if it doesn’t work I don’t want to waste ingredients.

Back
Top Bottom