Soap makers of BYC!

I've just tooled around with melt and pour so far, but I do have a cold process kit waiting for me! I figured I should start with a kit to just get the hang of cold process. I'm really excited but a little nervous too.

I really do enjoy melt and pour. Especially when you can do see-through designs, swirls and vivid glittery pigments.

IMG_1277.JPG

IMG_1282.JPG

From you soap-making vets to a newbie, where is a good place to start learning about how to make soap?

I'm most interested in making designer-type soaps as pictured here:
Lavender Rose Soap.jpg
Any ideas on how you got started/and what kind of equipment is required for soap making?

From you soap-making vets to a newbie, where is a good place to start learning about how to make soap?

I'm most interested in making designer-type soaps as pictured here:
View attachment 3251937
Any ideas on how you got started/and what kind of equipment is required for soap making?
I've really enjoyed the Youtube channels of Royalty Soaps and Brambleberry. They're educational and just plain fun to watch!

I started out watching youtube videos and reading various tutorials, mostly Bramble Berry / Soap Queen (they're both from the same people). They also talk about the equipment and safety and such, and have several tutorials on how to make specific designs and different types of soaps as well!

For me, the first batch of cold process was definitely the hardest. I got everything together and ready, and then I put it off for a couple weeks because I was just so daunted by it all... but once you do it, it's really quite simple and a lot of fun! You can always start on melt and pour and work your way up, too, as Duckduckchicken pointed out! You can make some really beautiful designs with MP, just look at Peaches Lee's post at the top of the page! 😍

Weird question - early May of this year I was out in the woods and found some bubbles forming at the base of this tree. Has anyone ever seen this happen before? Natural lye? It reminded me of soap making!
Resized_20220503_154428.jpeg
Resized_20220503_154435.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom