Soft egg shell stuck in vent

I think she's doing better! She was out and about, eating, drinking, sitting in the sunny spot. I tried to put some green food coloring on her vent, so I could see if she laid anything. I got some green on her butt feathers, on my fingers, on her vent....? not sure. I'll try again tomorrow.

She's getting Amoxicillin twice a day and a calcium pill. She'll take the Amox from my fingers, but I have to open her beak to get the calcium in.

She did spend a little time in the "leave me be spot" between the hay bale and the fence.

I gave Pip another calcim pill today. She doesn't like those; I have to pull down on her wattles and that's a battle. As far as I can tell, she has not passed anything other than poop. Nor have I seen her in either nest box. She will still take the amoxicillin gladly from my fingers.

I need to find some empty yellow capsules the same size as the mox. Then I could crush up a calcium tablet, fill the capsule, and maybe Pip would take that as easily. I tried cutting the calcium into 6 pieces. Nope, mom, Pippy don't wike it.

Last edited:
Pippy Update:

I found a broken, thin shelled egg in a nest box last Friday. I don't know who laid it. Pip usually laid in the other nest box, so maybe it wasn't hers? I haven't seen her in a nest box since before this all happened.

She is full of energy, is still taking the Amox from my finngers. Ten days on the Amox will end on Tuesday.

I'm cautiously very optimistic. :)

Back
Top Bottom