soft shell eggs

It does happen sometimes, like for now with my hens, I'm seeing it a lot lately. I think if there is some stress involved, that it's more likely. My bird's stress has been that I added a new hen (#4) and they had to do an internal reorganization, and these four chooks had to shuffle the hierarchy in the flock. Just now, I notice #3 hen lay a soft shelled egg in the yard and allowed the three others to go for it - and they did, but she left it for them and went off like it was a gift for them, or some kind of payment or something.

I'm still trying to figure chicken psychology out.
I agree, we have had chickens now for 5 years, and we still get the odd bout of soft shell, we also had a bad mite infestation, thankfully we have dealt with it, and I think this may have stressed the chickens our too - Marianne

I have 5 Red Sexlinks that have been laying for 9 months one consistently lays soft shell or rippled fragile shelled eggs. At least I think it is the same one since I find it in the same laying box and I usually get one a day. I have tried oyster shell mixed with feed and left available separately. Nothing seems to help. I'm worried this maybe a symptom of a health problem.

I have 5 Red Sexlinks that have been laying for 9 months one consistently lays soft shell or rippled fragile shelled eggs. At least I think it is the same one since I find it in the same laying box and I usually get one a day. I have tried oyster shell mixed with feed and left available separately. Nothing seems to help. I'm worried this maybe a symptom of a health problem.
Filled my empty nest with hen.

I'm sorta in the same boat. My RIR is continously laying soft eggs. The few times they we're hard, they had weird bumps and grit to the shell. My husband was concerned that the girls were eating the sand we had laid down for them.

While I gather it's some what normal, I still wonder if there's anything else we can do to help them.

just put a bowl of milk down every day until they lay proper eggs....then put a bowl down a couple of times a week.....trust me...it works...i have been doing this for my girls when they started laying soft shell eggs....I have a friend who is a breeder and she told me this tip....worked like a dream.....
2665.png
Marianne

Thanks for the milk tip! I have been giving oyster shell with no results. I am getting nervous because the soft shelled eggs are getting broken and eaten. So far they aren't breaking and eating the good eggs but I'm afraid it is only a matter or time. We have been treating for mites and it seems to be under control. Fingers crossed!

you are welcome, keep giving them the milk, it does work ....I am sure you know what to use for mites (Diatomaceous Earth) ? all the best Marianne
2665.png

Got my first 2 eggs today, ones a normal egg laid in the coop the other is a soft shell laid in the yard. There's a load of yolk on the dirt where it was but when I've opened it up the yolk is intact....... Does this mean there was a third egg they've eaten it (no sign of a shell)

Edited nest morning :)

2 more normal eggs and one with no shell at all, 4th bird in nesting box at the moment.

Last edited:
yes, that is possible...until your girls start laying normal eggs...I would suggest getting some fake rubber, or wooden eggs, and leave them in the nest... this will stop your girls eating any eggs...
2665.png
regards Marianne,

I have fake rubber eggs in the nesting box.

Blue, the poor girl who is laying soft shelled eggs is having a hard time of it. She is trying to stay away from the others and as soon as she lays her soft egg the other three go for it.

She is very lethargic as well

Back
Top Bottom