soft shell eggs

I am going to get some fake eggs. Yesterday she laid a thin shelled egg that didn't break and didn't get eaten though it looked like it was pecked at. Today it was smashed and eaten again. I noticed another egg looked pecked at but they didn't get through the inner membrane. I have been giving milk daily, all the other girls seem to love it, their shells are hard as hell. Ginger not as much but she does drink some.

Yes I have been treating the mite problem with DE and things seem to be under control and girls seem happy. Ginger is a RIR and my most reliable layer but I have only gotten 1 good egg in a couple of weeks. Very frustrating.

sounds like you may have a sick bird.....perhaps you should take her to a vet....
2665.png
Marianne

My hens lay concrete eggs but about once a week I get a rubber egg. Haven't figured out which one does it but it's always under the roost near my young pullets and not in the nestbox.

So the other odd thing happening with some regularity is my buff keeps dropping her egg on the poop shelf below the roost bar. Later in the day I will see her in the nesting box like she doesn't know she has laid.

Still haven't gotten a good egg from my RIR. Everyone seems very happy and healthy. I did another check for mites and no sign of them.

I am new to BYC. I have 5 hens they won't be two until June or July 2014. I did have 6 but went out one morning over the winter and found one of the Americaunas dead under the roost she seemed to be fine the night before. They are free range, I feed them a layer feed, they have oyster shell available and they had water available all winter, I also used artificial light over the winter, but egg production was way down. Several of them had messy feathers in the vent area, one of them a black sex link hasn't had feathers on her underbelly all winter and she has some bright red areas of skin in the bare area but otherwise they seem to be healthy they are very active and seem to be happy. She is the only one missing feathers. I have looked for lice and mites in the daylight and after night with a flashlight and found no signs of them. I cleaned the chicken coop and used an essential oil based disinfectant saturating the cracks etc to kill them if they were there and just not being visible, put in new pine bedding and sprinkled diatomaceous earth in the coop and added a little to their scratch(I give them about 1/4 cup per day in the late afternoon). A month ago I went to my local hatchery and got Neobicide and gave them each 7 drops by mouth to worm them. I am getting only one or two eggs a day. A couple of weeks ago my husband and I were working outside and the black sex link shot out an egg with out a shell. I had been seeing broken eggs in the bedding under the roosts so I have placed a piece of vinyl under the roost to see which girl is consistently laying the shell-less egg and just about everyday I will have an egg with out a shell broken under the roost. I believe it is the black sex link that is laying these eggs. Any suggestions? I just found out today that Neobicide is not to be used on food production birds:) We have been eating the eggs and the active ingredient is Ivermectin which is sometimes prescribed for humans so I'm not too worried but could use any advice or help you may have to offer. I have 10 new chicks about 6 weeks old in my brooder but don't want to put them out if I have a disease or something going on. The books that I have read say to take sick chickens to the vet but where do you find one or who can afford one? I don't want to call her if there is no risk to the other girls or the chicks, she seems happy. Thanks so much, Kim

Kim S,
Sounds like we have some of the same chicken troubles. I have been giving the girls milk products (yogurt and milk) about every other day. Today is the first day in weeks that my RIR layed a good rock hard egg in weeks. I'm wondering if she isn't eating much of the layer pellets since she free ranges all day. My buff has been dropping her eggs from the roosting bar as well. I have been treated for mites as well and seem to be all clear now. Maybe try the dairy. Mine don't seem to like the oyster shell.

Hi, I was wondering if any of you guys had figured out whats happening regarding dropping soft shelled eggs from the roost. I have 4 birds, 2 are 18 months ish and 2 are pols and been laying pretty much every day for 6 weeks ish. However the last few days we have had some weird eggs and a couple of soft shelled ones, all nearly in the coop or run and not the nest box. After ready this thread I have a sneaky suspicion it may be my older buff who is doing this as the young birds eggs are different colours. I'm worried as I know if it's a young bird it's normal but is it for an older one too?

Back
Top Bottom