Solar panel to run lightbulb

eggboy

Songster
10 Years
Jan 23, 2010
CA
I was wondering if there are any small solar panels that I could put on my chicken coop to run a lightbulb (I use the lightbulb for heat) it would need a battery because I only want the light on at night.

You certainly can run a light off a battery (for heat or light) and you can charge a battery with a solar panel. You will need to figure out how many watts you need and then size your panel according to your sun exposure. I'm betting it probably wont fall into most people's definition of small. Also, you may need more than one deep cycle battery depending on load. One suggestion... If you only want heat, use something that only puts out heat. They would be more efficient. If you go the solar route, it will probably be expensive too. Also, you will have to clear snow off the panel.

I would like to be able to run a 100 watt lightbulb. How big would a solar panel have to be to run one? How much would it cost? know anywhere I could get one?

Northern Tool sells panels, inverters, etc. (http://www.northerntool.com) The equation is a little more complex than a bulb wattage. You need to figure out how long it will run. Then, you need to figure out how many amps you are drawing. Then size your sysyem accordingly. I just looked on Northern and saw a kit which charges at a max of 60 watts @ 4 amps. You wouldn't likely get that max value at mid-latitudes in the winter. In any case, that system is $329 without the battery or light.

I would look into some solar sites to get a better idea on your requirements.

I'm looking at this kit to use on my add a motor coop door. Wold it work for a light too?

Solar Panel, Battery, Timer Kit

I still have not heard if anyone has tried it??
hu.gif

E/

Green_Eggs_and_Ham wrote

I'm looking at this kit to use on my add a motor coop door. Wold it work for a light too?

Solar Panel, Battery, Timer Kit

I still have not heard if anyone has tried it??

Can this solar panel charge a regular car battery?​

Last edited:
go on youtube, they got some nice videos on solar panel. You can convert your solar panel so that it could charge a car battery, and use that as to power the light, and so on..... Its just more easyier to explain it if you take a look at the videos.

Quote:
You wouldn't want to run a regular 120 volt light bulb. They are too inefficient and you would need a power inverter. You could run 12 volt incandescent lamps directly off of a 12 volt battery, but those bulbs are still pretty inefficient. Think smaller. Many of the kits that have been shown are using LED lamps. A 6 volt gel cell battery would run small Mag-Light style Krypton, Xenon, or Halogen bulbs for quite a long time, and those are some pretty bright bulbs.

Back
Top Bottom