Some type of worm?

I'm sorry, I've been gone all day, had my own emergency and have an animal in ICU over an hour away from home, and was gone for 12 hours today.
If you can upload a video to another host, like youtube, and put the link here, it can be seen. It's hard to say, it may be something that antibiotics won't help. Without vet care, we go with the most common things, what has worked in the past, and hope it works. Many reproductive problems don't really respond to treatments. The sporadic laying and now it's stopped, kind of points that direction.
I'm sorry to hear about your problems mate. I hope it works out well for your bird. I have put the link below. She has a rattle now as you can hear. She looked a lot better this morning, but now this.

When they sound like that it's usually either respiratory or from fluids coming back up from the crop making them gurgle.
We got a good update this morning from the vet hospital, it's an 11 week old kitten, not a bird. An emergency turned into a bigger emergency due to a treatment error. We are hopeful she will come home today and we can follow up with our regular vet, which will be much more comfortable for everyone.

That's excellent news. Not long after I posted the video she started sneezing, so I'm assuming respiratory. I've got some VetRx coming tomorrow, I know it's not a cure, just something to help relieve the symptoms. Hopefully, then she might start to eat. I've been drip-feeding her water all day. Do these respiratory problems sometimes go away on their own, after a while? I'm sticking with the antibiotics for now in case it is bacterial, and there are only 3 tablets to go anyway. Her poop was runny brown earlier, rather than the usual white.

Some respiratory issues are viral, and some can be treated but not cured. You can treat the symptoms, but they may recur particularly in times of stress, stress being a broad subject including any changes around them, illness, hot weather, flock changes, etc. Usual treatments for respiratory issues are Tylan or Tylosin. You can get Tylosin powder here (may be other sources):
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder?_pos=1&_sid=6b3857a65&_ss=r
Do a search for Tylan, some forms are available without prescription, some are not. You can give the injectable orally or by injection.

Some respiratory issues are viral, and some can be treated but not cured. You can treat the symptoms, but they may recur particularly in times of stress, stress being a broad subject including any changes around them, illness, hot weather, flock changes, etc. Usual treatments for respiratory issues are Tylan or Tylosin. You can get Tylosin powder here (may be other sources):
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder?_pos=1&_sid=6b3857a65&_ss=r
Do a search for Tylan, some forms are available without prescription, some are not. You can give the injectable orally or by injection.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/385711297625?chn=ps&norover
Is that it?

Yes, that's it. Directions for dilution in water for poultry should be on the label.
Firstly, hows your kitten? I hope she's okay. I did another fecal flotation test this morning. I'm only just getting used to using the microscope, but what I saw was virtually an exact match of a fluke from the charts I have. Like a fool, I forgot to take a picture. It also makes sense as I have a problem with slugs here, and have had to chase the birds to get them out of their mouths more than once in the past. I have ordered some Praziquantel but as it's from the States it will more than likely take around 10 days to arrive. Is there anything I can do in the meantime? Thank you for all your help and advice.

I don't know of anything else that would help or be equivalent. Merck says they are uncommon and fecal testing is unreliable, and that there are no effective treatments. I've no experience with that particular parasite.
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/poul...itions-of-poultry/fluke-infections-in-poultry
It's kind of you to ask about my kitten. She's home, we have a follow up appointment with our regular vet on Thursday. She had a bleed in her eye, no known cause, so all kinds of testing to determine what, if anything, is going on to cause it. No signs of trauma, but something could have happened when no one was looking. She is a kitten and a whirling dervish! Their attempt to get urine resulted in a punctured, leaking bladder, so a night in ICU with many ultrasounds until the leak stopped and all fluid was gone from the abdomen. Had an opthamology consult with eye ultrasound, eyes look normal except for the bleed so current thought is her vision should be OK once the blood is absorbed. Still have to get some more labs done to rule out any disease based cause, but her lab work so far has been fairly unremarkable. So we are cautiously optimistic at this point that all will be well. But it's been stressful, to say the least. Eye drops 5 times a day and oral antibiotics, always fun to administer meds to a cat!! The wait time in the ER yesterday for new admissions when we picked her up was over 8 hours, they were swamped. :eek:

Ignore my diagnosis of flukes, I don't think there's much doubt now it's gapeworm. She has all the symptoms. Vigorous shaking of the head, stretching her neck open-mouthed, gasping for air, coughing, which I assume is a way of trying to get them up. I treated her with Ivermectin yesterday afternoon. All the symptoms I just mentioned were more prominent this morning, so much so it was a little unnerving. I assume this is because she is now trying to pass the dying worms? She's not eating, which I imagine would be near impossible because of the worms, but my worry is, is that she isn't drinking. I have her inside and use a drip to get small bits of water down her with some Nutri Drench to ensure she is getting vitamins inside her. Will the water help her pass them, either through her coughing or pooping? I don't want to be giving her water if it will make matters worse, but then again she will die anyway without it. I hear it can take up to three days using this treatment. I've got my fingers crossed that she makes it.

Ivermectin may not be effective, there is a lot of discussion that some parasites are becoming resistant to it. If it is in fact gapeworm you would be better off with fenbendazole, which I believe you can get there as Flubenvet (flubendazole, same class of wormer).
This link is to an article on dosing flubendazole, which is more commonly used on your side of the pond than it is here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/flubendazole-worming-dosages.75090/

Back
Top Bottom